• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

Annealing Temperature of biotinylated primers

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 rephi

rephi

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Neutral

Posted 22 March 2010 - 01:59 AM

Hi!

I'm working with biotin labeled primers to optain nifH-Gene fragments with PCR for later use as a dot-blot probe. Unfortunately I am getting quite bad results from my PCRs. I was wondering if the biotin Label of my primer maybe changes the annealing temperature. Has anyone experience? I would be glad for hints.

thank you!
rephi

Edited by rephi, 22 March 2010 - 02:00 AM.

#2 agniesz

agniesz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Neutral

Posted 22 March 2010 - 03:17 AM

Hi!

I am not an expert, however I do not think it would change the Tm of primers. Biotin so can disturb during PCR though, so maybe try to change the conditions eg give more primers, try to do gradient PCR to establish the proper Tm

Agnieszka

Hi!

I'm working with biotin labeled primers to optain nifH-Gene fragments with PCR for later use as a dot-blot probe. Unfortunately I am getting quite bad results from my PCRs. I was wondering if the biotin Label of my primer maybe changes the annealing temperature. Has anyone experience? I would be glad for hints.

thank you!
rephi

#3 hobglobin

hobglobin

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional...

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,538 posts
Excellent

Posted 22 March 2010 - 10:23 AM

We used once biotinylated primers...it worked with the standard Tm. Anyway some programs include modifications such as Oligocalc

One must presume that long and short arguments contribute to the same end. - Epicurus
...except casandra's that belong to the funniest, most interesting and imaginative (or over-imaginative?) ones, I suppose.

That is....if she posts at all.

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.