• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo

autoclave time

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Rachel2010

Rachel2010

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Neutral

Posted 15 March 2010 - 07:57 PM

Hi,
In the textbook, it usually requires to autoclave medium 15 min, 15psi, 120 degrees.

While I think it depends on the volume of medium autoclaved. But what is the boundary for the time? If the bottle or flask contains only 1/3 volume medium, we can just autoclave 15min, is that right? How about 1/2 volume medium?

Thank you very much!

#2 Adrian K

Adrian K

Legendary Graduate Beggar

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts
Excellent

Posted 15 March 2010 - 10:59 PM

I would personally suggest you to read through the concept of autoclave.
The pressure 15psi, 121C and 15 minutes is needed to destroy all the living organism (with the exception of strain 121). It doesn't matter if you are half bottle full or full bottle.
Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you are a good person is like expecting the lion not to attack you because you are a vegetarian.

..."best of our knowledge, as far as we know this had never been reported before, though I can't possible read all the published journals on earth, but by perform thorough search in google, the keywords did not match any documents"...

"what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger"---Goddess Casandra reminds me to be strong

"It's all just DNA. Do it."---phage434

#3 gebirgsziege

gebirgsziege

I like fungi

• Active Members
  • 392 posts
Excellent

Posted 15 March 2010 - 11:47 PM

just do add to adrians post: depends on the volume of medium. if autoclaving more than 3L in one bottle we increase the time to 20-30 minutes to ensure that the whole liquid is at 121C for at least 15 min.....you can call it overcautious, but we get less contaminations with this tactic ;)
A man cannot be too careful in the choice of his enemies. (Oscar Wilde)

#4 maryjo

maryjo

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
Neutral

Posted 16 March 2010 - 09:31 AM

Well is there such a thing as over-autoclaving? Sometimes i leave my agar for an extra 5 or 10 mins...just to be sure

#5 microgirl

microgirl

Veteran

• Active Members
  • 122 posts
Neutral

Posted 16 March 2010 - 09:48 AM

Yes, you can over-autoclave and "caramelize" your media. I don't think an extra 5 or 10 minutes would matter.

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.