• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

DNA size markers run at different levels in the same gel

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 lotus

lotus

Enthusiast

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50 posts
Neutral

Posted 12 March 2010 - 02:59 PM

Hello,
I made a 1% agarose gel and loaded the dna ladders that we use in our lab for comparison. I loaded 2 aliquots of the 1 kb ladder in two lanes. There is as much as 0.5 kb difference in their positions on the gel. When compared to other ladders, there is a bigger difference. Is this normal? Which ladder do I trust i.e. which ladder truly depicts the correct size distribution of DNA on the gel?

#2 merlav

merlav

Enthusiast

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 55 posts
Neutral

Posted 15 March 2010 - 11:53 AM

Check the wire of the chamber, sometimes when is bend the samples don't electrophoresed equal distance
Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind.
Albert Einstein

I am among those who think that science has great beauty. A scientist in his laboratory is not only a technician: he is also a child placed before natural phenomena which impress him like a fairy tale.
Marie Curie

#3 gebirgsziege

gebirgsziege

I like fungi

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts
Excellent

Posted 16 March 2010 - 12:04 AM

did you pour your gel evenly? I mean is the thickness of the gel the same at both sides of the gel? Did you mix the agarose properly after dissoving or is it possible that you got a concentration gradient within the gel? and did the gel dissolve properly (if you are re-using gels)?
A man cannot be too careful in the choice of his enemies. (Oscar Wilde)

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.