Jump to content

  • Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

High background with biorupter


  • Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 annabellak

annabellak

    member

  • Active Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
0
Neutral

Posted 08 March 2010 - 02:36 PM

We've just switched from a probe sonicator to a biorupter. Since changing, I've been having problems with high background in my no antibody control samples and negative PCR controls. I'm wondering if its a solubility issue. Has anyone else had similar problems?

#2 jonny_boy

jonny_boy

    member

  • Active Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
0
Neutral

Posted 09 March 2010 - 06:15 AM

Hey Annabella,

Not sure if this response will help but here we go anyway! Did you re-optimise your sonications for use on the biorupter? If not that is probably the best place to start. Also, did you check your shearing on an agarose gel?

The reason I ask is that in my experience the biorupter is not as efficient as a probe based sonicator and usually requires a higher number of pulses. If you simply switched your entire protocol to the biorupter without checking shearing your background may well be caused by insufficient shearing (greater than 2-3 nucleosomes present).

Hope that helps a little!

Jon

#3 annabellak

annabellak

    member

  • Active Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
0
Neutral

Posted 09 March 2010 - 06:34 AM

Thanks for the reply Jon. We have checked the shearing, and it looks great - around 300bp. Perhaps there is still a small amount of high molecular weight DNA that I can't see on the gel.

#4 KPDE

KPDE

    Veteran

  • Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 154 posts
0
Neutral

Posted 11 March 2010 - 01:39 PM

Thanks for the reply Jon. We have checked the shearing, and it looks great - around 300bp. Perhaps there is still a small amount of high molecular weight DNA that I can't see on the gel.


Have you noticed any change, after switching to the Bioruptor, in the size of the residual pellet when centrifuging after sonication.

#5 NemaToStella

NemaToStella

    Enthusiast

  • Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 36 posts
0
Neutral

Posted 16 March 2010 - 09:56 PM

Hello annabella,
this is just a wild guess as I can't see a good reason why you would experience a higher background. I've noticed though that the insoluble chromatin pellet after sonication in the bioruptor seems to be looser/more easily perturbed compared the a "tip sonicator pellet". Could it be possible that you aspire some of the pellet which then sticks to your beads?

#6 Dukey

Dukey

    Enthusiast

  • Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 75 posts
2
Neutral

Posted 17 March 2010 - 03:01 PM

Thanks for the reply Jon. We have checked the shearing, and it looks great - around 300bp. Perhaps there is still a small amount of high molecular weight DNA that I can't see on the gel.


Be careful, if you get any lower than 300 bp, you could be looking at RNA.

#7 annabellak

annabellak

    member

  • Active Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
0
Neutral

Posted 19 March 2010 - 12:14 PM

Thanks for your suggestions. Yes - the pellet is a little larger after switching to the Biorupter, and I think you're right NemaToStella, the pellet is a little looser.

The samples are well RNase treated, so I'm hopeful that the sonication is real and not RNA.

I think the background was due to insoluble material as I managed to get rid if it by adding an extra spin after I diluted the chromatin - I actually saw a small white pellet after the second spin. I'm now back to around 100 fold enrichment over my PCR negative control.

#8 KPDE

KPDE

    Veteran

  • Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 154 posts
0
Neutral

Posted 20 March 2010 - 10:01 AM

Thanks for your suggestions. Yes - the pellet is a little larger after switching to the Biorupter, and I think you're right NemaToStella, the pellet is a little looser.

The samples are well RNase treated, so I'm hopeful that the sonication is real and not RNA.

I think the background was due to insoluble material as I managed to get rid if it by adding an extra spin after I diluted the chromatin - I actually saw a small white pellet after the second spin. I'm now back to around 100 fold enrichment over my PCR negative control.


Glad you figured it out.




Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.