• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

Salary

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#16 Curtis

Curtis

Metaller Scientist

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,112 posts
Excellent

Posted 25 May 2011 - 10:16 AM

Thanks guys. I keep telling myself " be happy you have a job you love".
It's very hard for me to move on if I think something is not fair, but I'm working on it.

I am in a situation that I don't care if the pay is fair or unfair. I just need money, I don't care if I love the job or not....believe me, I feel that terrible. ...in January my boss promised to hire me as post-doc, but now they say until I haven't passed my viva I can't be paid as a post-doc. I am practically working as a post-doc without any pay......and I'm married.....see how terrible I might be feeling.

I feel like the whole science thing was a mistake....I shouldn't have left my first job to continue my studies.

#17 Adrian K

Adrian K

Legendary Graduate Beggar

• Global Moderators
  • 707 posts
Excellent

Posted 25 May 2011 - 10:29 AM

Geezz, I dont know your institution was that bad... I was thought of join your institution....mind to PM me which lab u r from?
Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you are a good person is like expecting the lion not to attack you because you are a vegetarian.

..."best of our knowledge, as far as we know this had never been reported before, though I can't possible read all the published journals on earth, but by perform thorough search in google, the keywords did not match any documents"...

"what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger"---Goddess Casandra reminds me to be strong

"It's all just DNA. Do it."---phage434

#18 Tertu

Tertu

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Neutral

Posted 16 October 2011 - 12:04 PM

I dont know what to think of academia anymore... its a system that supports you and eats you alive at the same time. Its really not all about love to science.
http://www.scimplifi...d-academia.html

In many ways (and labs) it really becomes a business, where those who are able to attract funds are taking into account (irrespective of how good the science they do) and might survive up to a tenure position.

A PhD student, a person pursuing higher education at the expense of his private life and economical security in the name of science, is often reduced to only a number (monthly salary = purchase of 5 antibodies = 5$ working hr).

#19 UBClabbie

UBClabbie

Enthusiast

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 65 posts
Neutral

Posted 22 January 2012 - 12:49 AM

look for another job, until then stick it out. you can always pull an ultimatum but that is risky.

#20 scolix

scolix

a student

• Global Moderators
  • 314 posts
Neutral

Posted 30 January 2012 - 09:18 AM

At least, One should get a raise in the salary yearly based on inflation.

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.