• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

Sonication issues!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 S.A.P

S.A.P

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Neutral

Posted 01 March 2010 - 04:46 AM

Following sonciation of my cells, I centrifuged as normal to harvest the insoluble protein fraction. Only to find I couldn't get a significant pellet no matter how much I spun the samples down!

Any ideas? Perhaps the sonication time was excessive?

#2 lab rat

lab rat

Why does a science forum not have pictures of mice and rats?

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 245 posts
Neutral

Posted 01 March 2010 - 09:22 AM

How long did you sonicate, and did you have the sample on ice?
42..."An immutable fixed-precision number of unlimited magnitude." <a href="http://en.wikipedia....amming_language)" target="_blank">http://en.wikipedia....amming_language)</a>, accessed 25June2009.

#3 scolix

scolix

a student

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 314 posts
Neutral

Posted 01 March 2010 - 10:31 AM

What buffer did you sonicate the sample? If the insoluble protein is extracted by the buffer, I guess you might see any pellet.

#4 S.A.P

S.A.P

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Neutral

Posted 02 March 2010 - 02:49 AM

I always sonicate at a 1:3 ratio (5 mins actual sonication time, 15mins off) per pellet from 200ml of culture. My samples are always kept on ice during the procedure too. The amplification was 40%.
I was trying two different buffers, one was something I have always used (tris, DTT, EDTA and NaCl at pH 8), the other was bought from Qiagen. But I didn't get a pellet for either once I had spun them down!

I've never had this problem before but I guess I will soon find out if this really matters soon enough!

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.