• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

Cannot detect GFP using GFP antibody

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Biochemist25

Biochemist25

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Neutral

Posted 26 February 2010 - 03:52 AM

Hi, I have expressed two constructs. One just a GFP as a control and other mygene-GFP. After induction, under the microscope the cells with just GFP are green but mygene-GFP cells are not green.

Then I did a western blot using anti GFP antibody, but I don't see GFP band from GFP alone construct let alone the fusion construct:
Protocol:
(1) blocked membrane using 5% BSA PBST 1hour, RT with shake
(2) 3x 5min wash with PBST
(3) primary antibody (Abcam mouse GST antibody), 1400x dilution, incubated with shake in 4C overnight
(4) 3x 5min wash with PBST
(5) secondary antibody (santa cruz donkey anti-mouse IgG HRP), 5000x dilution, incubated with shake, RT, 1hour
(6) 3x 5min wash with PBST
(7) Mixed 0.5mL each of Pierce ECL Western Blotting Substrate and poured 1mL mix onto membrane
(8) Exposed membrane for 3 min

Cells are green before lysis and after lysis in western blot the lysate shows no GFP band. Either, western blot protocol is wrong or the GFP antibody is not working...

Please suggest any changes in the protocol if required... Thank you.

#2 laurequillo

laurequillo

The Goddamn Batman!

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 265 posts
Neutral

Posted 26 February 2010 - 04:53 AM

Hi, I have expressed two constructs. One just a GFP as a control and other mygene-GFP. After induction, under the microscope the cells with just GFP are green but mygene-GFP cells are not green.

Then I did a western blot using anti GFP antibody, but I don't see GFP band from GFP alone construct let alone the fusion construct:
Protocol:
(1) blocked membrane using 5% BSA PBST 1hour, RT with shake
(2) 3x 5min wash with PBST
(3) primary antibody (Abcam mouse GST antibody), 1400x dilution, incubated with shake in 4C overnight
(4) 3x 5min wash with PBST
(5) secondary antibody (santa cruz donkey anti-mouse IgG HRP), 5000x dilution, incubated with shake, RT, 1hour
(6) 3x 5min wash with PBST
(7) Mixed 0.5mL each of Pierce ECL Western Blotting Substrate and poured 1mL mix onto membrane
(8) Exposed membrane for 3 min

Cells are green before lysis and after lysis in western blot the lysate shows no GFP band. Either, western blot protocol is wrong or the GFP antibody is not working...

Please suggest any changes in the protocol if required... Thank you.

You know that GFP alone is quite small right? Maybe you let it go out. Anyway if you cannot see your protein in IF I would say that you are not expressing it
"He must be very ignorant for he answers every question he is asked" Voltaire

"This is SPARTA!"

"Im the goddamn batman"

#3 Biochemist25

Biochemist25

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Neutral

Posted 26 February 2010 - 05:15 AM

You know that GFP alone is quite small right? Maybe you let it go out. Anyway if you cannot see your protein in IF I would say that you are not expressing it

Any reason why the GFP-tagged construct would not express. I have sequenced it and it's alright. The induction is under GAL promoter for both constructs, grown in parallel.

#4 laurequillo

laurequillo

The Goddamn Batman!

• Active Members
  • 265 posts
Neutral

Posted 26 February 2010 - 06:23 AM

Any reason why the GFP-tagged construct would not express. I have sequenced it and it's alright. The induction is under GAL promoter for both constructs, grown in parallel.

No idea. Sometimes I have some clones that the sequence is ok but then I am not able to express them. The GFP tag is in N or in C terminus? sometimes the position of such a big tag affects the expression of the protein

Edited by laurequillo, 26 February 2010 - 06:24 AM.

"This is SPARTA!"

"Im the goddamn batman"

#5 dpo

dpo

Enthusiast

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 89 posts
Neutral

Posted 26 February 2010 - 08:43 AM

I presume this is a typo? Otherwise it's quite clear why you see no signal...

#6 scolix

scolix

a student

• Global Moderators
  • 314 posts
Neutral

Posted 26 February 2010 - 09:04 AM

Have a positive control if possible.

GFP can be detected easily on WB. Try new antibody aliquot of both primary and secondary. At times, the antibody has degraded and one never gets any signal.

good luck

#7 CambridgeBiochemist

CambridgeBiochemist

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Neutral

Posted 26 February 2010 - 10:34 AM

I presume this is a typo? Otherwise it's quite clear why you see no signal...

Yes, that's GFP not GST

Note CambridgeBiochemist = Biochemist25 (for some technical reason I am not able to log in using Biochemist25

#8 CambridgeBiochemist

CambridgeBiochemist

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Neutral

Posted 26 February 2010 - 10:36 AM

No idea. Sometimes I have some clones that the sequence is ok but then I am not able to express them. The GFP tag is in N or in C terminus? sometimes the position of such a big tag affects the expression of the protein

The GFP is part of the pAG426GAL-EGFP-ccdb vector. It's N-terminal

#9 laurequillo

laurequillo

The Goddamn Batman!

• Active Members
  • 265 posts
Neutral

Posted 26 February 2010 - 10:47 AM

The GFP is part of the pAG426GAL-EGFP-ccdb vector. It's N-terminal

And you said that you were not able to detect GFP alone right (GFP alone is about 27 kda)? try with another protein-gfp. You first need to know that everything is working in your WB

"This is SPARTA!"

"Im the goddamn batman"

#10 ursae

ursae

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Neutral

Posted 18 July 2010 - 06:04 PM

wad do u mean detect gfp alone?

Whr is ur protein localised? I had an experience in which my protein+gfp doesnt shown up in WB no matter what. Then it occurred that this protein is localised in the nucleus and my ripa buffer wasnt strong enough to lyse the nuclear membrane. After i switched to a strong lysis buffer, tada it showed up just fine.

Or other thing is that ur transfection didnt really work anyway.

Lastly, try to use another antibody from another company. ur ab might have spoilt/degraded. tat usually happens.

#11 laurequillo

laurequillo

The Goddamn Batman!

• Active Members
  • 265 posts
Neutral

Posted 26 July 2010 - 06:28 AM

wad do u mean detect gfp alone?

Whr is ur protein localised? I had an experience in which my protein+gfp doesnt shown up in WB no matter what. Then it occurred that this protein is localised in the nucleus and my ripa buffer wasnt strong enough to lyse the nuclear membrane. After i switched to a strong lysis buffer, tada it showed up just fine.

Or other thing is that ur transfection didnt really work anyway.

Lastly, try to use another antibody from another company. ur ab might have spoilt/degraded. tat usually happens.

well, Ripa buffer is quite strong, and I guess your protein was not in all the nucleus, but in some insolube bodies (pml bodies...). Anyway if you do a SDS lysis and you cannot detect your protein something is wrong with the WB. Maybe the antibody. I would add a positive control and then you will know

"This is SPARTA!"

"Im the goddamn batman"

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.