• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

Stable Mammalian Expression with Retrovirus

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 amelia417

amelia417

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
Neutral

Posted 24 February 2010 - 09:17 AM

I am transducing mammalian hepatocellular carcinoma cells with a IRES-GFP MMLV-based retrovirus construct containing a 1.5 kb insert.
I've read (in non-peer-reviewed publications) that stable expression/insertion into the target genome (i.e., the mammalian chromosomal DNA) can occur in as little as 3 days. First, does anyone know if this is generally true or not?

Second, I want to FACS sort the GFP+ cells as soon as possible after infection/transduction, but I want to also make sure that the ones that are sorted are stably expressing the DNA. Does anyone have any suggestions on how many days/weeks to wait after transduction before FACS sorting my transduced mammalian cells with the goal of having sorted stably expressing cells?

#2 scolix

scolix

a student

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 314 posts
Neutral

Posted 24 February 2010 - 11:14 AM

It is possible to make stables using a retrovirus plasmid or even a virus. You will have to select them for a long time anyways.

As long as they express GFP, you could sort them but its better to select them before running them through FACS

#3 Dr Teeth

Dr Teeth

Veteran

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts
Neutral

Posted 24 February 2010 - 11:49 AM

It is possible to make stables using a retrovirus plasmid or even a virus. You will have to select them for a long time anyways.

As long as they express GFP, you could sort them but its better to select them before running them through FACS

Why not transfect a GFP plasmid in without selection and see how long the fluorescence lasts? You will probably need to go out 7-10 days to be sure your GFP is stably integrated.

Science is simply common sense at its best that is rigidly accurate in observation and merciless to fallacy in logic.
Thomas Henry Huxley

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.