• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

U/ml to ug/ml

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 BryanC

BryanC

Enthusiast

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33 posts
Neutral

Posted 24 February 2010 - 07:26 AM

Hello All,

New to the forum, but have gotten great info in the past when searching for something on google.

I have a heparin stock solution at 1000 U/ml. Is it possible to make a 50mg/ml working stock from this solution?

If so, what other info do i need for the calculation?

Thanks,
BC

#2 almost a doctor

almost a doctor

Veteran

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 244 posts
Good

Posted 24 February 2010 - 07:55 AM

Hello All,

New to the forum, but have gotten great info in the past when searching for something on google.

I have a heparin stock solution at 1000 U/ml. Is it possible to make a 50mg/ml working stock from this solution?

If so, what other info do i need for the calculation?

Thanks,
BC

You need to know how many U are in a mg, and calculate from there :)

#3 BryanC

BryanC

Enthusiast

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33 posts
Neutral

Posted 24 February 2010 - 01:18 PM

Thanks.

So, if the Heparin salt is 180 U/mg, then the 1000 U/ml sol'n is at .180 mg/ml? Which means I would have to make a fresh 50 mg/ml stock from the heparin salt?

Guess Ill have to order some more heparin, because someone has put a basically empty bottle back into the cabinet without ordering more. :D

Edited by BryanC, 24 February 2010 - 01:22 PM.

#4 bob1

bob1

Thelymitra pulchella

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,827 posts
Excellent

Posted 24 February 2010 - 03:08 PM

180 U/mg will give 1000U.ml-1/180U.mg-1= 5.556 mg/ml not 0.18mg/ml - you'll still have to make a fresh stock or add a larger volume to a dilution.

#5 BryanC

BryanC

Enthusiast

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33 posts
Neutral

Posted 24 February 2010 - 05:32 PM

180 U/mg will give 1000U.ml-1/180U.mg-1= 5.556 mg/ml not 0.18mg/ml - you'll still have to make a fresh stock or add a larger volume to a dilution.

Thanks bob. I really rushed that calc. And man was I over thinking U/ml, U/mg, etc. Never had to deal with "units" before....

Being that it's for in situ hyb, i don't think I trust the cleanliness of someone else's solution anyway.

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.