• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

Incubation with washing buffer only?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 goldfinger

goldfinger

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
Neutral

Posted 19 February 2010 - 08:46 AM

Hi all,
I am using the sigma's anti flag antibody (F7425) which is produced in rabbit. The data sheet shtates that for Anti-Rabbit HRP binding, the incubation is done in PBS w/ 0.05%TWEEN20.
However, I always done incubation in washing buffer with 5% mlik or BSA.

I am wondering why BSA or milk is not required here or why they are required in other protocols.
Thanks

#2 fishdoc

fishdoc

Veteran

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts
Neutral

Posted 19 February 2010 - 08:53 AM

Hi all,
I am using the sigma's anti flag antibody (F7425) which is produced in rabbit. The data sheet shtates that for Anti-Rabbit HRP binding, the incubation is done in PBS w/ 0.05%TWEEN20.

I am wondering why BSA or milk is not required here or why they are required in other protocols.
Thanks

You can do it either way. Using blocking buffer will result in less background, but also may reduce signal a bit. Most of the instructions given with the antibodies are general to apply across most applications. In most instances, optimization is required for best results, and this is one of those things that can be tweaked for better results.

#3 goldfinger

goldfinger

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
Neutral

Posted 19 February 2010 - 09:45 AM

Thanks for answering my questions, :)
So the BSA or milk are for blocking the non-specific binding, not for protecion of the antibody. Right?

Hi all,

Thanks

You can do it either way. Using blocking buffer will result in less background, but also may reduce signal a bit. Most of the instructions given with the antibodies are general to apply across most applications. In most instances, optimization is required for best results, and this is one of those things that can be tweaked for better results.

#4 fishdoc

fishdoc

Veteran

• Active Members
  • 272 posts
Neutral

Posted 19 February 2010 - 10:33 AM

Thanks for answering my questions, :)
So the BSA or milk are for blocking the non-specific binding, not for protecion of the antibody. Right?

I'm relatively new to westerns, but yes, that is my understanding.

Edited by fishdoc, 19 February 2010 - 10:34 AM.

#5 scolix

scolix

a student

• Global Moderators
  • 314 posts
Neutral

Posted 19 February 2010 - 11:57 AM

Thanks for answering my questions, :D

I'm relatively new to westerns, but yes, that is my understanding.

yes, its right

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.