• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

Can you store cell pellets for future nuclear extraction?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 DrAnt1

DrAnt1

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Neutral

Posted 08 February 2010 - 06:04 PM

Hi everyone,

I am running a time course experiment (8 time points in the 1st 24hrs and then one at 48 and one at 72hrs) dosing my cells with various things... I want to do nuclear protein extractions on these time points (I use the Active Motif kit) - as I have 8 time points (including 2 very anti-social points!) I do not wish to do individual extracts immediately following the time point (especially given each extract takes ~2hrs to process, not at all practical!) BUT I can't find any description of a method to store cell pellets to perform nuclear extractions all together at a later date.

If I were to spin down and freeze the cell pellet from each time point, is there an established method of defrosting them that will not damage the cells and allow efficient nuclear extraction?

If anyone has done nuclear extractions on a time course and can give me some Top Tips, it would be appreciated ... being still in the lab at 3am doing a single nuclear extraction is not an attractive option!! :lol:

Thanks for your help!

#2 laurequillo

laurequillo

The Goddamn Batman!

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 265 posts
Neutral

Posted 08 February 2010 - 09:04 PM

I just pellet the cells and freeze them at -150. Then I start the protocol as usual
"He must be very ignorant for he answers every question he is asked" Voltaire

"This is SPARTA!"

"Im the goddamn batman"

#3 DrAnt1

DrAnt1

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Neutral

Posted 10 February 2010 - 09:42 PM

I just pellet the cells and freeze them at -150. Then I start the protocol as usual

Cool, thanks for replying!

I also received a reply from an ex-colleague who recommended the following (in case anyone else ever has this as a question!):

1. Terminate the cell culture at each desired time point by washing monolayer cultured cells with ice-cold PBS 2-3 times (can also trypsinise, add ice-cold media, pellet in cold centrifuge and wash with cold PBS 2/3 times using cold centrifuge)
2. Remove the last wash PBS thoroughly and snap-freeze the culture plate/pellet at -20C.

To perform extraction:
1. Take the plates out of the freezer and put them on ice (keeping them cold is very important).
2. Add appropriate amount of freshly made lysis buffer containing protease cocktails, then defrost and follow the procedure required for nuclear protein extraction.

#4 laurequillo

laurequillo

The Goddamn Batman!

• Active Members
  • 265 posts
Neutral

Posted 10 February 2010 - 11:15 PM

Cool, thanks for replying!

I also received a reply from an ex-colleague who recommended the following (in case anyone else ever has this as a question!):

1. Terminate the cell culture at each desired time point by washing monolayer cultured cells with ice-cold PBS 2-3 times (can also trypsinise, add ice-cold media, pellet in cold centrifuge and wash with cold PBS 2/3 times using cold centrifuge)
2. Remove the last wash PBS thoroughly and snap-freeze the culture plate/pellet at -20C.

To perform extraction:
1. Take the plates out of the freezer and put them on ice (keeping them cold is very important).
2. Add appropriate amount of freshly made lysis buffer containing protease cocktails, then defrost and follow the procedure required for nuclear protein extraction.

Yeah thats the way. (in my previous post I meant pellet the cells, remove the PBS/medium and freeze them, not to freeze them with the medium!! :( )
"He must be very ignorant for he answers every question he is asked" Voltaire

"This is SPARTA!"

"Im the goddamn batman"

#5 jokhf

jokhf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Neutral

Posted 19 March 2013 - 10:36 AM

hi, im sorry, but what do you mean by pellet, are they completely dry in pellet form or are they in a pellet but also in buffer

#6 memari

memari

Veteran

• Active Members
  • 148 posts
Good

Posted 20 March 2013 - 09:34 AM

You can keep intact nuclear or extract of nuclear in -80 without any problem.

I use this protocol without problem:

Panomics and Affymetrix Nuclear Extraction Protocol
http://babakmemari.f...-extraction.pdf

http://www.panomics....UCLEAR_1_V2.pdf
-----
Babak Memari

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.