• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

Problem with protein samples

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 distressed.writer

distressed.writer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Neutral

Posted 08 February 2010 - 03:33 PM

Hi, I did SDS gels using Secretory Excretory Products (SEPs) from a parasite. I found even though my BCA showed that the sample contained protein, when I run the sample on a SDS gel no bands appear. Im looking for a reason for this. I run other samples on the same gel and they are fine. I am wondering could it be my sample as it has a high salt concentration in it. Also I used dopamine to obtain the SEPs could this interfere. I have used these samples on proteases assays and have detected activity so Im hoping it is not the BCA assay that is wrong. Any suggestions for possible reasons?
Thanks

#2 rubenH

rubenH

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Neutral

Posted 09 February 2010 - 12:01 AM

Hi,
Did you do a solvent/buffer control in the BCA to control for background BCA turnover?
Good luck

#3 mdfenko

mdfenko

an elder

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,811 posts
Excellent

Posted 09 February 2010 - 12:28 PM

you can try removing the salt by drop dialysis prior to treating with sds sample buffer.

also,

how are you detecting the protein in the gel? coomassie? silver? immunostain? something else?

your protein load may be too little to detect by the method you are using. if you are using silver, i have seen proteins that required a second round of silver staining to become visible.
talent does what it can
genius does what it must
i do what i get paid to do

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.