• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

Rate Zonal Centrifugation (density gradient)

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Ahrenhase

Ahrenhase

Veteran

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 172 posts
Good

Posted 31 January 2010 - 02:51 PM

This method states that you layer your sample atop a density gradient (i.e. sucrose) and centrifuge for a specific amount of time, this will separate the elements based on size and shape. But this method is also states that if you centrifuge for too long, then you'll pellet EVERYTHING in your sample. This part makes no sense. A density gradienty typically goes up to 1.8g/mL. Anything < 1.79g/ml within your sample will never get pelleted right?

#2 mdfenko

mdfenko

an elder

• Active Members
  • 2,784 posts
Excellent

Posted 01 February 2010 - 07:32 AM

the sample's unit density will be greater than the dense solution through which you are pushing it. it will, given enough time and centrifugal force, pellet.

Edited by mdfenko, 01 February 2010 - 07:32 AM.

talent does what it can
genius does what it must
i do what i get paid to do

#3 Ahrenhase

Ahrenhase

Veteran

• Active Members
  • 172 posts
Good

Posted 02 February 2010 - 01:45 PM

the sample's unit density will be greater than the dense solution through which you are pushing it. it will, given enough time and centrifugal force, pellet.

TI don't understand how this is different than equilibrium-gradient centrifugation (aka isopycnography) , which is based on the same premise of using a gradient. Only when you centrifuge, everything separates based on density.

Edited by Ahrenhase, 02 February 2010 - 01:46 PM.

#4 mdfenko

mdfenko

an elder

• Active Members
  • 2,784 posts
Excellent

Posted 03 February 2010 - 08:09 AM

TI don't understand how this is different than equilibrium-gradient centrifugation (aka isopycnography) , which is based on the same premise of using a gradient. Only when you centrifuge, everything separates based on density.

yes. but if you let it continue the "bands" will continue to migrate towards the bottom of the tube, albeit slowly.
talent does what it can
genius does what it must
i do what i get paid to do

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.