• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

IRA online

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 hobglobin

hobglobin

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional...

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,531 posts
Excellent

Posted 31 January 2010 - 08:47 AM

One fine day I had to find them: Have a look :unsure:

One must presume that long and short arguments contribute to the same end. - Epicurus
...except casandra's that belong to the funniest, most interesting and imaginative (or over-imaginative?) ones, I suppose.

That is....if she posts at all.

#2 pito

pito

Veteran

• Global Moderators
  • 1,332 posts
Excellent

Posted 14 June 2010 - 07:34 AM

lol

I really dont understand people that are anti-animal testing...

I can understand that if there are alternatives, you should use them... but heck: do they really want that all medicin etc is tested on humans?

If you don't know it, then ask it! Better to ask and look foolish to some than not ask and stay stupid.

#3 Adrian K

Adrian K

Legendary Graduate Beggar

• Global Moderators
  • 708 posts
Excellent

Posted 14 June 2010 - 03:58 PM

LOL...

True enough. Same thing happen in Malaysia.
http://thestar.com.m...=...&sec=nation

They can protest animal testing, without knowing many drugs and medicine they used in their medication were animal tested.

They should have stop their children getting into University as well, this is because usually universities does equipped with animal testing lab.....LOL... petiton for anti-university, anti-postgrads???

Okey, did they suggest alternatives rather than just protest?

LOL
Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you are a good person is like expecting the lion not to attack you because you are a vegetarian.

..."best of our knowledge, as far as we know this had never been reported before, though I can't possible read all the published journals on earth, but by perform thorough search in google, the keywords did not match any documents"...

"what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger"---Goddess Casandra reminds me to be strong

"It's all just DNA. Do it."---phage434

#4 HomeBrew

HomeBrew

Veteran

• Global Moderators
  • 930 posts
Good

Posted 14 June 2010 - 04:25 PM

I think you guys should read the disclaimer on the IRA site...

#5 pito

pito

Veteran

• Global Moderators
  • 1,332 posts
Excellent

Posted 16 June 2010 - 10:46 AM

I think you guys should read the disclaimer on the IRA site...

:lol:

Anyway: I am sure there are websites like that without this kind of disclaimer.. and thats just sad.

If you don't know it, then ask it! Better to ask and look foolish to some than not ask and stay stupid.

#6 hobglobin

hobglobin

• Global Moderators
  • 5,531 posts
Excellent

Posted 16 June 2010 - 10:56 AM

of course it's parody...and some or many of the "real" animal rights activists are imo "reality satires" and their actions too (and some even more harmful to animals than any experiment).
Anyway, for an entomologist it's interesting that only vertebrates (according to laws), and often only cute vertebrates (for animal rights activists) are debated and meant...I'm quite sure that insects (or worms, or crustaceans, or molluscs, or...) also feel pain.

One must presume that long and short arguments contribute to the same end. - Epicurus
...except casandra's that belong to the funniest, most interesting and imaginative (or over-imaginative?) ones, I suppose.

#7 casandra

casandra

carpe diem by the jugulum

• Global Moderators
  • 5,035 posts
Excellent

Posted 16 June 2010 - 12:57 PM

of course it's parody...and some or many of the "real" animal rights activists are imo "reality satires" and their actions too (and some even more harmful to animals than any experiment).
Anyway, for an entomologist it's interesting that only vertebrates (according to laws), and often only cute vertebrates (for animal rights activists) are debated and meant...I'm quite sure that insects (or worms, or crustaceans, or molluscs, or...) also feel pain.

a parody? and I was wondering why you posted it here...:lol:...and insects feeling pain? I thought that there's a general consensus among scientists that they don't ....that's why they are not protected by legislature....
"Oh what a beauteousness!"
- hobglobin, personal comment about my beauteous photo......

#8 hobglobin

hobglobin

• Global Moderators
  • 5,531 posts
Excellent

Posted 16 June 2010 - 01:09 PM

a parody? and I was wondering why you posted it here...;)...and insects feeling pain? I thought that there's a general consensus among scientists that they don't ....that's why they are not protected by legislature....

well then I'd have posted it in the Animal and Zoology section and not in the Lab joke section here :lol:
and I guess more or less all animals feel pain...
IMO the question is how they realise it i.e. if it's a unpleasant, annoying feeling (as we consider/feel it) or if it's just an information like e.g. a cold temperature perception...but this is a neuro-physiological and philosophical question...

#9 casandra

casandra

carpe diem by the jugulum

• Global Moderators
  • 5,035 posts
Excellent

Posted 16 June 2010 - 01:14 PM

a parody? and I was wondering why you posted it here...:P...and insects feeling pain? I thought that there's a general consensus among scientists that they don't ....that's why they are not protected by legislature....

well then I'd have posted it in the Animal and Zoology section and not in the Lab joke section here :lol:
IMO the question is how they realise it i.e. if it's a unpleasant, annoying feeling (as we consider/feel it) or if it's just an information like e.g. a cold temperature perception...but this is a neuro-physiological and philosophical question...

;)...we can make it one.....ok then...what do you think of this?
"Oh what a beauteousness!"
- hobglobin, personal comment about my beauteous photo......

#10 hobglobin

hobglobin

• Global Moderators
  • 5,531 posts
Excellent

Posted 16 June 2010 - 01:33 PM

a parody? and I was wondering why you posted it here...:P...and insects feeling pain? I thought that there's a general consensus among scientists that they don't ....that's why they are not protected by legislature....

;)...we can make it one.....ok then...what do you think of this?

will read it later...but I forgot it's not only pain, but the "right to live" etc, some activists want to concede to all animals...but then why not all organisms anyway?

#11 Adrian K

Adrian K

Legendary Graduate Beggar

• Global Moderators
  • 708 posts
Excellent

Posted 17 June 2010 - 08:41 PM

will read it later...but I forgot it's not only pain, but the "right to live" etc, some activists want to concede to all animals...but then why not all organisms anyway?

Dr H, I agree with you.
Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you are a good person is like expecting the lion not to attack you because you are a vegetarian.

..."best of our knowledge, as far as we know this had never been reported before, though I can't possible read all the published journals on earth, but by perform thorough search in google, the keywords did not match any documents"...

"what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger"---Goddess Casandra reminds me to be strong

"It's all just DNA. Do it."---phage434

#12 Maddie

Maddie

Veteran

• Active Members
  • 289 posts
Neutral

Posted 25 June 2010 - 06:27 AM

<_<

This reminds me one exam I once had. It started by asking us to read the whole thing first and then answer the questions. This was followed by a long series of very difficult questions. Of course the last one was "You only need to answer this last question". It was the subject for a dissertation and you really needed the 2 hours you had.
Theory is when we know everything and nothing is working. Practice is when everything is working and nobody knows why. Here, we combine theory and practice. Nothing is working and nobody knows why.

A. Einstein

#13 pito

pito

Veteran

• Global Moderators
  • 1,332 posts
Excellent

Posted 02 July 2010 - 10:16 AM

:lol:

This reminds me one exam I once had. It started by asking us to read the whole thing first and then answer the questions. This was followed by a long series of very difficult questions. Of course the last one was "You only need to answer this last question". It was the subject for a dissertation and you really needed the 2 hours you had.

But

You only need to answer this last question

is not a question...... :P so how can you answer this?

I have some other funny examples too about questions, but maybe we should open a new topic on this :P

#14 Maddie

Maddie

Veteran

• Active Members
  • 289 posts
Neutral

Posted 22 July 2010 - 09:11 AM

oh oui oui
Theory is when we know everything and nothing is working. Practice is when everything is working and nobody knows why. Here, we combine theory and practice. Nothing is working and nobody knows why.

A. Einstein

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.