• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

PCR and templates

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 celvas

celvas

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts
Neutral

Posted 28 January 2010 - 06:43 AM

Hi all,

I have a question regarding PCR and the nature of the template:

1) Good amplification if I use as template a previous amplified insert.

2) No product if the template is a miniprep product containing the insert cloned in a vector.

Why sometimes, not always, I am not able to get any PCR product using the second option.

Thanks in advance

Edited by celvas, 28 January 2010 - 06:46 AM.

#2 stylothecancer

stylothecancer

Enthusiast

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 42 posts
Neutral

Posted 28 January 2010 - 01:14 PM

Hi celvas,

Could it be your template concentration in option 2 too low? have you check the template concentration before running the PCR?

Or,

Could it be your template contain inhibitors carried over while you do your miniprep? Why don't you check the concentration and the purity of of template? And try to do some dilution of the template if the concentration is sufficient. If the template concentration is low, why don't you try to increase the number of cycle of your PCR reaction?

#3 celvas

celvas

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts
Neutral

Posted 28 January 2010 - 02:28 PM

Thank you for replying. I agree with you, my thought is that may be my minprep product concentration is too low. But I guess that the concentration of a miniprep product (even with low-copy plasmid) should be much higher than the PCR product used as template in option 1. Anyway, i will quantify both. Thank you for your suggestion.

#4 swanny

swanny

Veteran

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 367 posts
Neutral

Posted 28 January 2010 - 05:30 PM

To test Option 2, try a 1/10 dilution of the template in MQW.
Heart disease kills more women than breast cancer, but heart attack symptoms differ from men's symptoms. Get to know your heart... it could save your life.

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.