• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

dna smear in electrophoresis

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 sara.r

sara.r

sara.r

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 87 posts
Neutral

Posted 28 January 2010 - 06:29 AM

I do some pcr on a purified dna fragment and I use maximum tm in pcr setting, but after electrophoresis on 2% gel I still have some smear below my expected band,I want to to clone this fragment so I need it in most purified form . I just dont know if extra bands are degraded dna or pcr by products (that are not expected in my pcr because i use a purified dna).
is there any sugesstions?

#2 mdfenko

mdfenko

an elder

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,799 posts
Excellent

Posted 28 January 2010 - 12:42 PM

primer dimers?
talent does what it can
genius does what it must
i do what i get paid to do

#3 stylothecancer

stylothecancer

Enthusiast

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 42 posts
Neutral

Posted 28 January 2010 - 01:25 PM

Hi sara.r,

Would you mind showing us your gel pic?

Thanks

#4 sara.r

sara.r

sara.r

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 87 posts
Neutral

Posted 29 January 2010 - 05:44 AM

Hi sara.r,

Would you mind showing us your gel pic?

Thanks

hi
unfortunately I dont have a pic but my band is 1 kb and the smear in below it during the 750bp to 1kb region in 2% gel and it is not dimer primer.

#5 mdfenko

mdfenko

an elder

• Active Members
  • 2,799 posts
Excellent

Posted 29 January 2010 - 07:07 AM

could one of your primers be exhibiting non-specific binding? is there a site similar to the one to which the primer is made?

maybe you are experiencing some slippage?

can you gel purify the correct product or is the smear too close?
talent does what it can
genius does what it must

#6 swanny

swanny

Veteran

• Active Members
  • 367 posts
Neutral

Posted 31 January 2010 - 03:52 PM

could one of your primers be exhibiting non-specific binding? is there a site similar to the one to which the primer is made?

maybe you are experiencing some slippage?

can you gel purify the correct product or is the smear too close?

Wouldn't that start to make a discrete band, rather than a smear? Once you had 1 cycle of non-specific priming (which would be pretty weak), the next and subsequent cycles would be 100% compatible.

Sara, can you repeat the experiment with a few different starting template loads, in case the problem is there? Then you can show us the picture of the gel, which will really assist.

You can tell if the smear is from degraded DNA by treating some of the product with DpnI and running on a gel along with untreated product: if it is degraded DNA, the smear will disappear; otherwise, if it's amplified DNA from the PCR reaction, it won't.
Heart disease kills more women than breast cancer, but heart attack symptoms differ from men's symptoms. Get to know your heart... it could save your life.

#7 mdfenko

mdfenko

an elder

• Active Members
  • 2,799 posts
Excellent

Posted 01 February 2010 - 07:53 AM

slippage would not necessarily create discrete bands. slippage does not occur during primer binding. it occurs during extension. taq slips off and reattaches randomly (but usually near the slip off point) and continues on its merry way. this often occurs when extending sequences with a series of repeats or polynucleotides (poly-As, poly-Ts,...).
talent does what it can
genius does what it must

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.