• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

HELP! Genomic DNA, RNA-size bands

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Serhiy Pylawka

Serhiy Pylawka

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Neutral

Posted 27 January 2010 - 09:48 AM

I am running regular PCR with primers I designed for my RT-PCR spanning over an intron from different exons. The results are very confusing. I do get my expected gemonic bands (intron + exon); however, I also get band I would get from cDNA (exon, minus intron). My genomic bands presence is inconsistent but my cDNA band extremely consistent.

I tried using 5'UTR primers, primers spanning over many introns with no avail. Any suggestions please, please. :D

Serhiy

#2 chrisbelle

chrisbelle

Enthusiast

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 58 posts
Neutral

Posted 02 February 2010 - 10:25 PM

I am running regular PCR with primers I designed for my RT-PCR spanning over an intron from different exons. The results are very confusing. I do get my expected gemonic bands (intron + exon); however, I also get band I would get from cDNA (exon, minus intron). My genomic bands presence is inconsistent but my cDNA band extremely consistent.

I tried using 5'UTR primers, primers spanning over many introns with no avail. Any suggestions please, please. :unsure:

Serhiy

What exactly do you want to amplify? The intron only or over the exons including the intron? Since you are doing RT-PCR (I assume reverse-transcription) you are not supposed to get the genomic DNA bands.

1. You have DNA contamination in your RNA
2. If your band from cDNA is your expected then your primers are fine. Deal with the DNA contamination.

Chris
Life sucks. Enjoy it while you can.

#3 stylothecancer

stylothecancer

Enthusiast

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 42 posts
Neutral

Posted 04 February 2010 - 01:43 AM

I tried using 5'UTR primers, primers spanning over many introns with no avail. Any suggestions please, please. :)

Serhiy

What exactly do you want to amplify? The intron only or over the exons including the intron? Since you are doing RT-PCR (I assume reverse-transcription) you are not supposed to get the genomic DNA bands.

1. You have DNA contamination in your RNA
2. If your band from cDNA is your expected then your primers are fine. Deal with the DNA contamination.

Chris

Hi Serhiy Pylawka,

Agree with Chris.

Actually I am also not very clear with what you wish to do when I read you post.

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.