• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

primer annealing

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 josse

josse

Student

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 87 posts
Neutral

Posted 07 January 2010 - 10:23 AM

Dear all,

I was wondering why higher annealing temperatures give less aspecific binding of primers?

I would rather think that the higher the temperature, the more energy there is, the easier a primer would bind wrong bases.

#2 mdfenko

mdfenko

an elder

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,811 posts
Excellent

Posted 07 January 2010 - 11:18 AM

the easier a bad match can release.
talent does what it can
genius does what it must
i do what i get paid to do

#3 bob1

bob1

Thelymitra pulchella

• Global Moderators
  • 5,830 posts
Excellent

Posted 07 January 2010 - 03:29 PM

Look at it like this...

if you are climbing a tree - is it easier to hold on when it is still (low energy) or when it is shaking in the wind (high energy)?

In this metaphor you holding on is equivalent to the chemical bonds between molecules and still and shaking are cold and hot respectively.

#4 josse

josse

Student

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 87 posts
Neutral

Posted 08 January 2010 - 11:28 AM

I see thanks.

However one more question: the annealing of the primer against the template doesnt require any extra energy then (you do not need to input heat to make them bound?)
This seems logical, knowing that the more energy the less mismatch you would have.
(the worser the binding is, the more mismatch, the easier it is to remove the bindings)

Or ?

#5 bob1

bob1

Thelymitra pulchella

• Global Moderators
  • 5,830 posts
Excellent

Posted 10 January 2010 - 04:22 PM

Its not quite that simple I'm afraid. The reactions are largely not controlled by exo- or endo-thermic properties. The pairing is by hydrogen bonding - purine binding to pyrimidine - and stacking interactions stabilize the DNA. It is more that the mis-matches are energetically unfavourable because of inter-molecular distances.

At higher energy, only the ideal interactions will hold together, as the molecules move around more, whereas at lower temperatures the DNA can mis-pair through any interaction doing the job.

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.