Making a 3% agarose gel.
Posted 06 January 2010 - 01:09 PM
Posted 06 January 2010 - 01:27 PM
Pluralitas non est ponenda sine necessitate
-- "You must assume no plural without necessity".
Posted 06 January 2010 - 01:33 PM
When preparing high concn agarose it is a good idea to 1) slowly add the agarose powder, with mixing, into the buffer (not the other way around) 2) soak the agarose for 15 minutes at room temperature before heating 3) swirl the flask multiple times during the heating to keep the powder suspended.
Alternatively you could use agarose especially developed to resolve small fragments (eg Nusieve 3:1).
Hope this helps.
Posted 06 January 2010 - 06:34 PM
and soak agarose in TAE for 15-20 min at room temperature before heating certainly help.
Posted 08 January 2010 - 05:38 AM
1) pour agarose in another vessel (Beaker or Flask)
2) Add some TAE into the flask which contain agarose stuck to walls. (TAE should be in measured quantity)
3) Heat it up in Microwave oven.
4) Add agarose in apropriate amount now according to volume of TAE increased.
5) Mix both the solution and microwave them.
Best of luck...
Microbiology & Molecular Genetics
Website: Microbiology On-Line
FaceBook Group: Microbiology On-Line