• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo

mouse kidney fixation

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 mouseIHC

mouseIHC

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Neutral

Posted 23 December 2009 - 10:21 AM

I am seeing collapsed tubular lumens on my mouse kidney sections, and have been unable to resolve the issue.

I am using perfusion-fixation with 4% PFA, with good blanching of the kidneys, cutting the kidneys into 3mm sections and incubating in 30% sucrose overnight. The specimens are then frozen in OCT in liquid nitrogen the next day, then cryosectioned at -22C at 2um sections the day after.

The tissue morphology overall looks well, with back-to-back tubules, patent vessels and open glomeruli. However, the tubular lumens are mostly closed/collapsed, which is not what I am seeing in other publications. This is a problem, because I am trying do IF to stain for a brush border protein, and other papers have shown widely patent tubular lumens and good staining.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Thanks

#2 Jojje

Jojje

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Neutral

Posted 26 December 2009 - 06:44 AM

Does other people at your lab get nice sections of different tissues, or is it only you that experience this problem? When I encounter problems with getting nice sections it's mostly some problem with the sectioning device, not the protocol used...

#3 Carlton H

Carlton H

Enthusiast

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 95 posts
Neutral

Posted 30 December 2009 - 02:12 PM

Sorry if this seems obvious, but have you changed the blade recently?
NextAdvance
Reliable laboratory instruments for the life sciences, designed to enable you to work more effectively and increase productivity. Check us out!

If my answers help you, please take a moment to check out our site and see if any of our products would help you as well! Thanks!

#4 mouseIHC

mouseIHC

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Neutral

Posted 03 January 2010 - 12:57 AM

-unfortunately we are the only ones in the lab doing kidneys. others are doing mouse lungs and are not having any problems.

-yes, I tried using a brand new blade as well.

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.