• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo

e-mailing people for possible jobs

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 vetticus3

vetticus3

Princess

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 144 posts
Neutral

Posted 16 December 2009 - 09:21 PM

Hey guys,
I was wondering on what people thought of getting e-mails from people who are finishing their PhDs, and looking for potential projects. the kind of projects that aren't advertised yet.

I have found a few labs that i would love (LLLLOOOVVVEEEEE) to work for, but they don't have anything advertised (not even a "if you are interested send a CV" type disclaimer). So, i sent them an email briefly detailing the work i've done, the papers i've published, a few of the awards i've won/nominated for... and a brief explanation on why i would love to work for them. i also said i would send a cv and letter of recommendation if they're interested.

is this ok? or would you think pffftt, this peron's a wacko. any tips?
or, if anyone is thinking about getting a postdoc in a cancery (obesity or virology, as i'm interested in those) field, would you be interested in a 3 publication (1 first athor... and another first author paper submitted) awesome postdoc who would bake cookies for the lab? :lol:

V

#2 aimikins

aimikins

Sunflower

• Global Moderators
  • 117 posts
Neutral

Posted 17 December 2009 - 06:16 PM

V, are you a PhD or an MD-PhD?
"it is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education" -A.E.

#3 vetticus3

vetticus3

Princess

• Active Members
  • 144 posts
Neutral

Posted 17 December 2009 - 09:40 PM

PhD. I should be done, finished, signed, sealed and delivered by march/april 2010.

V

#4 Clare

Clare

Veteran

• Active Members
  • 192 posts
Neutral

Posted 18 December 2009 - 01:50 AM

Hi V,

That's exactly what I did when I finished my PhD - I contacted labs in the UK who I would like to work for and told them I was coming to visit and could I meet up with them. I wasn't planning on making the move (from Australia) until a year or so later. I picked a lab and got an email a few months later saying they just got funding and how soon could I start :) So I don't think you're crazy :) I think it's a great idea - it shows your'e keen and know what you want.

Clare

Hey guys,
I was wondering on what people thought of getting e-mails from people who are finishing their PhDs, and looking for potential projects. the kind of projects that aren't advertised yet.

I have found a few labs that i would love (LLLLOOOVVVEEEEE) to work for, but they don't have anything advertised (not even a "if you are interested send a CV" type disclaimer). So, i sent them an email briefly detailing the work i've done, the papers i've published, a few of the awards i've won/nominated for... and a brief explanation on why i would love to work for them. i also said i would send a cv and letter of recommendation if they're interested.

is this ok? or would you think pffftt, this peron's a wacko. any tips?
or, if anyone is thinking about getting a postdoc in a cancery (obesity or virology, as i'm interested in those) field, would you be interested in a 3 publication (1 first athor... and another first author paper submitted) awesome postdoc who would bake cookies for the lab? :)

V

#5 HomeBrew

HomeBrew

Veteran

• Global Moderators
  • 930 posts
Good

Posted 18 December 2009 - 04:59 AM

I think it's a good idea, so long as such an email includes "...a brief explanation on why i would love to work for them." If each email is personalized to the lab it's going to it's okay, otherwise it's spam.

You could probably increase your chances of being contacted if it's obvious in the email that you've read a few of the lab's papers, and maybe even suggest an idea or two for possible research projects you'd like to pursue.

#6 hobglobin

hobglobin

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional...

• Global Moderators
  • 5,536 posts
Excellent

Posted 18 December 2009 - 07:44 AM

I guess several labs will answer that they welcome you, if you have your own project funding... <_<

One must presume that long and short arguments contribute to the same end. - Epicurus
...except casandra's that belong to the funniest, most interesting and imaginative (or over-imaginative?) ones, I suppose.

That is....if she posts at all.

#7 vetticus3

vetticus3

Princess

• Active Members
  • 144 posts
Neutral

Posted 18 December 2009 - 02:12 PM

Hi,

I just got offered a few jobs!! OMG. :D
Each letter was personalised, and i explained why i wanted to work in their labs. It definately as not a spam letter.

V

#8 casandra

casandra

carpe diem by the jugulum

• Global Moderators
  • 5,035 posts
Excellent

Posted 18 December 2009 - 02:28 PM

Hi,

I just got offered a few jobs!! OMG. :D
Each letter was personalised, and i explained why i wanted to work in their labs. It definately as not a spam letter.

V

Great....congratulations V....now back to work....you've got deadlines eh....otoh, go out and celebrate...;)...

PS...I guess they couldn't resist opening your mail and checking out your CV- do you think it was that message title which clinched it: Post-Doc # 1, Dream Post-Doc or The best postdoc ever...:D...

Edited by casandra, 18 December 2009 - 02:46 PM.

"Oh what a beauteousness!"
- hobglobin, personal comment about my beauteous photo......

#9 HomeBrew

HomeBrew

Veteran

• Global Moderators
  • 930 posts
Good

Posted 18 December 2009 - 05:32 PM

I just got offered a few jobs!!

I think these two things are related (along with your CV, of course...).

Congratulations! Did you get offered jobs, or interviews?

#10 vetticus3

vetticus3

Princess

• Active Members
  • 144 posts
Neutral

Posted 18 December 2009 - 08:05 PM

One is a definate job offer (dependent on funding), the other seems to be a bit fuzzy (now that i've stopped to think about it). she has offered to consider me for a job. hmm
still, i'm chuffed. and it makes me think that the other couple of labs that i emailed will also get back to me.

It's a big boost to just get a reply that says "you're not a complete loser". i've been hearing horror stories from people who have finished their phd, and haven't been able to land a job. they apply and apply, but nothing comes out of it. these people are smart... really really smart.

V

#11 lab rat

lab rat

Why does a science forum not have pictures of mice and rats?

• Active Members
  • 245 posts
Neutral

Posted 18 December 2009 - 10:24 PM

Good for you, vetticus. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you. :lol:
42..."An immutable fixed-precision number of unlimited magnitude." <a href="http://en.wikipedia....amming_language)" target="_blank">http://en.wikipedia....amming_language)</a>, accessed 25June2009.

#12 K.B.

K.B.

Veteran

• Active Members
  • 174 posts
Neutral

Posted 19 December 2009 - 10:07 AM

Congratulations Vetticus! :lol:
It gives me hope! :lol:
I'm in similar situation as you are. This topic came just in time, because my plan is to start organizing my future after I submit my thesis for review (ie. in January - which means I would defend it in March/April) - ie. polish my CV/resume and on-line profiles, write some good template cover letter, look for post-doc positions and job offers, and do what you asked for - e-mail people, and that was the point I was not really sure about, but now it turns it may not be such a bad idea.

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.