• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

Low 260/230 ratio in my RNA

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Blackeyed

Blackeyed

Enthusiast

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32 posts
Neutral

Posted 11 December 2009 - 03:25 AM

I`ve isolated RNA with the Promega kit. I measured the concentration etc. with Nanodrop and I have low
260/230 ratio`s ( around 1.4-1.8). The troubleshooting section of the kit
said that there is to much guanidine thiocyanate and that I should precipitate my RNA with NaCl and ethanol
at -20 for 30min.
I already have a low concentration of RNA so I`m a bit susceptible to do this because it eventually again
will decrease my RNA concentration.
Will this guanidine thiocyanate comprimise my RT-PCR results? Should I leave my samples
the way they are or should i perform the additional step and probably loose RNA?

#2 pDNA

pDNA

Veteran

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 493 posts
Good

Posted 14 December 2009 - 10:15 PM

i would not worry to much about the low A260/230 ratio ...you will use your template diluted for the RT-PCR, therefore it should be no problem at all. If you experience problems after a first try you can try to re-purify your sample.

Regards,
p

#3 Baars01

Baars01

Enthusiast

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 45 posts
Neutral

Posted 15 December 2009 - 02:54 AM

1.4-1.8 is not ridiculously low (2 is optimum). This could be due to guanidine thiocyanate or ethanol in your washes. I would not worry too much about it. What manufacturers are you using for RT-PCR?

#4 chrisbelle

chrisbelle

Enthusiast

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 58 posts
Neutral

Posted 16 December 2009 - 01:17 AM

1.4-1.8 is not ridiculously low (2 is optimum). This could be due to guanidine thiocyanate or ethanol in your washes. I would not worry too much about it. What manufacturers are you using for RT-PCR?

Agree. Since you are using for RT-PCR it should be fine and not disturb the reactions too much.
Life sucks. Enjoy it while you can.

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.