• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

To find a protein's function which MW is 14kD.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 xiuyanshi

xiuyanshi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Neutral

Posted 30 November 2009 - 11:54 PM

Hello!
I'm trying to find a protein's function which MW is 14kD. I donot know how to begin. It's location in cell and expression in different organ have been done.

Any help is appreciated, thanks in advance!

#2 Vini

Vini

Veteran

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts
Neutral

Posted 01 December 2009 - 11:24 PM

Hi

have u tried doing homology searches for ur protein???? try finding out if it has any conserved domains.........that should be the first thing to start with....

Edited by DRN, 02 December 2009 - 01:35 AM.

#3 Prep!

Prep!

Am I me???!!!

• Active Members
  • 517 posts
Neutral

Posted 02 December 2009 - 12:13 AM

yeaah i agreee and also u can see which specific organs it is found in from where u ve isolated it. The function might be related to a common aspect between those organs!!! the idea is narrow down the possibilities of functions as much as possible.. then it will be easy to explore!!!
Support bacteria - They are the only culture some people have!!!
Cheers!!!

#4 warsel

warsel

Enthusiast

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 77 posts
Neutral

Posted 02 December 2009 - 05:48 AM

If there is no known homologos protein or domain to you protein of interest I'd probably try to do a pulldown/MS approach and try to see what kind of interactors you can find.
If it's a nuclear protein finding out if it's DNA binding and, if yes, what sequences it binds to by ChIP-Seq might be an option.

#5 aimikins

aimikins

Sunflower

• Global Moderators
  • 117 posts
Neutral

Posted 02 December 2009 - 03:49 PM

depending on the organism, you could make a mutation and look for a phenotype...?
"it is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education" -A.E.

#6 shyarasu

shyarasu

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Neutral

Posted 21 February 2010 - 08:43 PM

Hi

have u tried doing homology searches for ur protein???? try finding out if it has any conserved domains.........that should be the first thing to start with....

Hi, Does anybody use lipopeptide antigens in immunological reactions? What tests are best suited for them? Can we use MQ water to reconstitute synthetically prepared lipopetides? What about culture medium?

#7 Inmost sun

Inmost sun

Veteran

• Active Members
  • 304 posts
Excellent

Posted 14 April 2010 - 03:28 AM

Hello!
I'm trying to find a protein's function which MW is 14kD. I donot know how to begin. It's location in cell and expression in different organ have been done.

Any help is appreciated, thanks in advance!

I supose there is no simple way to find out; you may take a look at appropriate data banks to get an idea but I think you should prove it;

I agree with warsel to perform MS;

are you sure that your protein of interest has always 14 kDa at any cellular condition?

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.