• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

Coverglass for confocal

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Helios

Helios

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts
Neutral

Posted 30 November 2009 - 06:49 AM

Has anyone used laab-tek chambered coverglass (cat no. 155380) for confocal microscopy???
after dapi staining, do you need to cover the cells with coverslip or can you directly visualise them under the confocal microscope?

#2 bob1

bob1

Thelymitra pulchella

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,628 posts
Excellent

Posted 30 November 2009 - 03:32 PM

If you want to use oil immersion lenses (20x or higher objective) you need to coverslip the slide so you can put the oil on it. With lower mags, it may not be absolutely necessary, but you don't want the lens touching your sample or the lens getting covered in stuff from your sample. Basically - always coverslip your slides.

#3 SuMi

SuMi

Enthusiast

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 45 posts
Neutral

Posted 02 December 2009 - 01:23 AM

You generally have to use coverslips for confocal as the thickness of the coverslip is taken into consideration. We were told to always use No. 1.5 coverslips as this gives the most accurate result.

#4 Prep!

Prep!

Am I me???!!!

• Active Members
  • 517 posts
Neutral

Posted 02 December 2009 - 01:50 AM

yeah i vaguly remember having heard that the cover slip thickness also plays a rle in magnification!!! though wat bob says also is very logical!!!

P.S. its been ages since i even saw a microscope!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Support bacteria - They are the only culture some people have!!!
Cheers!!!

#5 rhombus

rhombus

Rhombus/Uncle Rhombus

• Active Members
  • 214 posts
Excellent

Posted 02 December 2009 - 03:33 AM

yeah i vaguly remember having heard that the cover slip thickness also plays a rle in magnification!!! though wat bob says also is very logical!!!

Dear Pradeep Iyer,

You are probably referring to the "working distance " of the objective lense rather than magnification itself. Most confocal microscopes are purchased with long working distance objectives so that the thickness of nay coverslip used will not be an issue.

Kindest regards

Rhombus

#6 Prep!

Prep!

Am I me???!!!

• Active Members
  • 517 posts
Neutral

Posted 02 December 2009 - 04:12 AM

Dear Pradeep Iyer,

You are probably referring to the "working distance " of the objective lense rather than magnification itself. Most confocal microscopes are purchased with long working distance objectives so that the thickness of nay coverslip used will not be an issue.

Kindest regards

Rhombus

Thank you for teh enlightenment rhombus!!! B)
Support bacteria - They are the only culture some people have!!!
Cheers!!!

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.