• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

to post-docs, who paid for your work computer?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 noelmathur

noelmathur

Enthusiast

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 72 posts
Neutral

Posted 30 November 2009 - 04:00 AM

Hello All,

While talking to a friend of mine, who just started his post-doc, I learned that he had to buy his laptop to work. This is a work computer (i.e. he is not allowed to install programs not 'certified' by local IT guys) so I wondered why he should buy? Shouldn't his PI pay for it? The lab money scene is not bad so I don't know if that PI is stingy or this is a regular habit?

Wonder what you guys think about it? If you are a post-doc, who paid for your computer?

#2 toejam

toejam

Guitar Hero

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts
Good

Posted 30 November 2009 - 04:23 AM

I'm no postdoc yet, but the ones I know have bought their own computers. As far as I know PIs usually don't pay for laptops.
"When there's no more room in hell the dead will walk the Earth"

#3 Doki

Doki

Veteran

• Active Members
  • 265 posts
Neutral

Posted 30 November 2009 - 04:40 AM

sounds injustice when it comes to not being allowed to install his own softwares but there should be some reasons, and most probably security . . .so should not be a problem if the post-doc does not mess around with downloading insecure softwares or pirated softwares.

And, above all. . boss is always right.
Simple living, highnot thinking

#4 fishdoc

fishdoc

Veteran

• Active Members
  • 272 posts
Neutral

Posted 30 November 2009 - 04:54 AM

The PI purchased computers for me and the previous postdoc in the lab. Both desktops, nothing fancy, but powerful enough to do whatever I need to do. Of course, the computers stay with the lab once the position expires.

#5 Clare

Clare

Veteran

• Active Members
  • 192 posts
Neutral

Posted 30 November 2009 - 05:00 AM

Crazy!! (unlucky!?)

My PI has always paid for my computers.
Clare

Hello All,

While talking to a friend of mine, who just started his post-doc, I learned that he had to buy his laptop to work. This is a work computer (i.e. he is not allowed to install programs not 'certified' by local IT guys) so I wondered why he should buy? Shouldn't his PI pay for it? The lab money scene is not bad so I don't know if that PI is stingy or this is a regular habit?

Wonder what you guys think about it? If you are a post-doc, who paid for your computer?

#6 K.B.

K.B.

Veteran

• Active Members
  • 174 posts
Neutral

Posted 30 November 2009 - 06:56 AM

Two words my friend - PRIVATE PROPERTY. If he brought it by himself (ie. not through his work purchase department), paid for this laptop with his own money, has a receipt and this laptop is not enlisted as equipment at his workplace (it shouldn't if it was not brough with employers money), then regardless if it's used at work, he can do with it whatever he wants and nobody can say a word. Only thing that IT guys can do is to deny internet connection for his private ("non-certified") laptop.

#7 hobglobin

hobglobin

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional...

• Global Moderators
  • 5,539 posts
Excellent

Posted 30 November 2009 - 11:54 AM

Desktop computers we get from the institute, special demands like laptops one has to buy on his/her own...there are only some for general purpose (meetings, practical courses etc)

One must presume that long and short arguments contribute to the same end. - Epicurus
...except casandra's that belong to the funniest, most interesting and imaginative (or over-imaginative?) ones, I suppose.

That is....if she posts at all.

#8 DRT

DRT

Veteran

• Active Members
  • 161 posts
Neutral

Posted 30 November 2009 - 02:10 PM

We buy laptops for our PhD students. They are as an important a part of thier working tools as the pipettes.

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.