• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

Can transormations be incubated at less than 37 degrees after heat shock?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 KimWG

KimWG

Enthusiast

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37 posts
Neutral

Posted 28 November 2009 - 12:20 PM

Hi,

I came into the lab on a Saturday to set up some transformations from a ligation I ran overnight. The incubating shaker in our lab gets a lot of use so I was hoping to be able to sneak my guys in there after their heat shock. However, someone has something in the incubating shaker at 30 degrees (don't know who, or what). Can I incubate the transformations at this lower temperature, perhaps for a longer time, or should I just store my ligations until the incubator is free again? I'm trying to generate some results for a grant proposal due in a week, so I'm really under the gun here!

Thanks
Kim

#2 phage434

phage434

Veteran

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,747 posts
Excellent

Posted 28 November 2009 - 01:07 PM

There should be no problem in incubating at 30C for a bit longer. I would run the transformation efficiency control so that if I ran into problems I would be able to pinpoint this as a possible cause, but I would not anticipate a problem.

#3 Qundo12

Qundo12

E. coli farmer

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 88 posts
Neutral

Posted 29 November 2009 - 09:23 AM

No problem for sure. I usually do that and colonies formed well ^^ (but I didn't make any comparison to evaluate the efficiency)

#4 KimWG

KimWG

Enthusiast

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37 posts
Neutral

Posted 29 November 2009 - 10:39 PM

No problem for sure. I usually do that and colonies formed well ^^ (but I didn't make any comparison to evaluate the efficiency)

Thanks all -- The shaking incubator was freed up by the time I needed it but it's good to know for future reference!

#5 tfitzwater

tfitzwater

Enthusiast

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 96 posts
Neutral

Posted 30 November 2009 - 07:50 AM

When I transform temperature sensitive plasmids, after a 42C heat pulse I add SOC and incubate at 30C for 90 minutes, plate, and incubate the plates at 30C for about 6 hours longer than normal.

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.