• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

non desired brigther bands

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 pba

pba

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Neutral

Posted 25 November 2009 - 11:48 AM

Hello all,

I'm new in western blot technique. I'm running 30microg protein content form lysis cells. I want to detect Bcl2 protein. I detect my band but also some tenue higher bands. And also a lower band which is much brigther than my target band. What I'm doing wrong? can be some degradatation of the protein? I prepare the samples by mixing with SDS and mercaptoethanol, 95C, 3 min. I don the incubation of primary antibody with 5% pbs-t overnigth at 4C and the secondary with 5% milk for 1:30h at RT. thanks a lot

#2 Prep!

Prep!

Am I me???!!!

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 517 posts
Neutral

Posted 26 November 2009 - 12:17 AM

30 mcg is too much for a western blot!!!!!!!
we incubate with primary adn secondary for 1 hour at rt on a shaker with TBS washes 5 min 3 times each.
May be too much of protein and too long an incubation times is leading to these observations!!!
Worst case your antibody might be cross reacting!!!
Support bacteria - They are the only culture some people have!!!
Cheers!!!

#3 nuris

nuris

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Neutral

Posted 26 November 2009 - 05:28 AM

OK, I'll try to reduce protein amount and incubation times. Do you use TBS or TBS-T? But for the secondary antibody I'm not able to wash completely the bands from primary antibody with 4 x 6 min washes

thanks a lot!!!!!!

#4 Prep!

Prep!

Am I me???!!!

• Active Members
  • 517 posts
Neutral

Posted 26 November 2009 - 06:56 PM

we use TBS and give 3 washes after primary adn secondary and incubate in both antibodies for an hour after blocking for half an hour!!!
Best luck!
Support bacteria - They are the only culture some people have!!!
Cheers!!!

#5 bob1

bob1

Thelymitra pulchella

• Global Moderators
  • 5,794 posts
Excellent

Posted 29 November 2009 - 04:21 PM

Titrate your antibody - do different dilutions across the same sample, this should lower the incidence of non-specific bands. Also check that the antibody you have is supposed to be for western blot - there are a lot of different ones for different applications. You may also want to play with different blocking solutions, such as BSA, or gelatin.

#6 medchemgirl

medchemgirl

Enthusiast

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 69 posts
Neutral

Posted 01 December 2009 - 02:18 PM

You have to consider if your protein is a low abundant protein, 30ug might just be right. I've loaded up to 50ug for WB.

#7 madrius1

madrius1

Veteran

• Active Members
  • 114 posts
Neutral

Posted 02 December 2009 - 01:08 PM

medchemgirl +1.

WBs with over 90 g is okay for some proteins. The one rule with WB is that there are no identical proteins, and that every specific Ab should be individually optimized.

I do primary Ab O/N at 4oC in 5% milk, and the second 1h at RT in 5% milk. I do 2 washes in TBS-T (for as long as you like, min 10 mins each) in between each incubation.

#8 medchemgirl

medchemgirl

Enthusiast

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 69 posts
Neutral

Posted 02 December 2009 - 02:19 PM

I agree. I also do the same thing u do in reference to the incubation.

medchemgirl +1.

WBs with over 90 g is okay for some proteins. The one rule with WB is that there are no identical proteins, and that every specific Ab should be individually optimized.

I do primary Ab O/N at 4oC in 5% milk, and the second 1h at RT in 5% milk. I do 2 washes in TBS-T (for as long as you like, min 10 mins each) in between each incubation.

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.