• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

Page or HPLC primers

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Maddie

Maddie

Veteran

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts
Neutral

Posted 24 November 2009 - 07:56 AM

The title says it all. Embarassing to admit I still don't know that, but, hey better to learn than stay an idiot, right?
So what is the difference between these 2? And what is the Purest? :angry:

My primers are between 30 and 37bp with a Biotin at the 5' end.

Here is what Invitrogen says:
HPLC: Guarantees highly purified primer required in some applications (=>85% full-length).
PAGE: Provides the highest percentage of full-length oligos (>=85%) required for certain demanding applications such as mutagenesis or adapter production
:angry: huh?

Edited by Maddie, 24 November 2009 - 08:57 AM.

Theory is when we know everything and nothing is working. Practice is when everything is working and nobody knows why. Here, we combine theory and practice. Nothing is working and nobody knows why.

A. Einstein

#2 Maddie

Maddie

Veteran

• Active Members
  • 289 posts
Neutral

Posted 24 November 2009 - 08:42 AM

Oh and maybe I should have said that it's urgent because I need to place a huge primer order (almost 200) asap.
Theory is when we know everything and nothing is working. Practice is when everything is working and nobody knows why. Here, we combine theory and practice. Nothing is working and nobody knows why.

A. Einstein

#3 Maddie

Maddie

Veteran

• Active Members
  • 289 posts
Neutral

Posted 25 November 2009 - 07:12 AM

OKeeeeeeeeeeee, looks like I'm not the only ignorant around here :blink:

So I give you my findings. HPLC and PAGE don't use the same tecnhique to separate according to lenght/molecular weight/charge and from what I gathered, HPLC's purity is between 90-97%, wherease PAGE is between 95-99%.
They cost the same (at least with Sigma), so I doubt the difference is big anyway.

Ahhh don't I love talking to myself :lol:

A. Einstein

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.