• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

cleaning of quartz cuvette??

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 rick112

rick112

Enthusiast

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 71 posts
Neutral

Posted 23 November 2009 - 01:23 AM

hi

we recently found out that due to some one's bad useage of "quartz microplate (cuvette)"..have protein precipitations....is tehre any method to clean quartz cuvette???

P.S. one of my collegue told about usage of diluted NaoH for the same...i am little skeptical about it... :lol:

thanks

#2 Gerard

Gerard

Veteran

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 124 posts
Neutral

Posted 23 November 2009 - 01:56 AM

hi
P.S. one of my collegue told about usage of diluted NaoH for the same...i am little skeptical about it... :lol:

thanks

For protein removal is diluted NaOH a good choise, just a few minutes soaking and several times rinsing with demi.
Ockham's razor
Pluralitas non est ponenda sine necessitate
-- "You must assume no plural without necessity".

#3 Prep!

Prep!

Am I me???!!!

• Active Members
  • 517 posts
Neutral

Posted 23 November 2009 - 02:33 AM

ya u can rinse with methanol... then with pure water.. tehn witht he dilute base and again with water and store
Also found these sites might be useful... not about microplates but tells a lot about quartz!!

http://www.mindat.or...Cleaning Quartz

http://www.gamineral...z-cleaning.html
Support bacteria - They are the only culture some people have!!!
Cheers!!!

#4 mdfenko

mdfenko

an elder

• Active Members
  • 2,710 posts
Excellent

Posted 23 November 2009 - 09:29 AM

we would occasionally soak our quartz cuvettes in concentrated nitric acid then rinse with dih2o.

you can also use chromic acid (or nochrom-mix if you want to avoid chromium).

Edited by mdfenko, 23 November 2009 - 09:30 AM.

talent does what it can
genius does what it must
i do what i get paid to do

#5 Hielscher_Ultrasonics

Hielscher_Ultrasonics

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Neutral

Posted 23 November 2009 - 10:29 AM

hi

we recently found out that due to some one's bad useage of "quartz microplate (cuvette)"..have protein precipitations....is tehre any method to clean quartz cuvette???

P.S. one of my collegue told about usage of diluted NaoH for the same...i am little skeptical about it... :rolleyes:

thanks

Hi Rick,

did you try ultrasonic cleaning or ultrasonically assisted NaOH-cleaning yet. We at Hielscher offer a microplate sonication system for this. You could fill your microplate with water/diluted NaOH or concentrated NaOH and the ultrasonic agitation will assist the cleaning process.

Have a nice day!

Hielscher Ultrasonics

#6 Radish

Radish

Enthusiast

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 48 posts
Neutral

Posted 23 November 2009 - 11:19 AM

hi

P.S. one of my collegue told about usage of diluted NaoH for the same...i am little skeptical about it... :P

thanks

Hi Rick,

did you try ultrasonic cleaning or ultrasonically assisted NaOH-cleaning yet. We at Hielscher offer a microplate sonication system for this. You could fill your microplate with water/diluted NaOH or concentrated NaOH and the ultrasonic agitation will assist the cleaning process.

Have a nice day!

Hielscher Ultrasonics

usually we have a little container filled with concentrated nitric acid, every time we finish using the cuvettes, we would spray them with 70 % ethanol, then distilled water, and into the container. We never saw any precipitates and we avoid scratches (some people use little brushes).

#7 rick112

rick112

Enthusiast

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 71 posts
Neutral

Posted 24 November 2009 - 07:12 PM

Hi Hielscher_Ultrasonics,

I think one should not use ultrasonication for cleaning of quartz cuvette as the high frequencies used in these baths will damage or even shatter your cuvettes....

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.