• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

PCR without thermal cycler?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Pia

Pia

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Neutral

Posted 22 November 2009 - 05:44 AM

Hi everyone!

I'm new here, just joined and already have questions :lol:

Well, I am a grad.student and I am trying to know how could I do a PCR within 24 hours and no thermal cycler?

is there a way?

thanks a lot for your help!

#2 hobglobin

hobglobin

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional...

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,615 posts
Excellent

Posted 22 November 2009 - 05:52 AM

Hi everyone!

I'm new here, just joined and already have questions :lol:

Well, I am a grad.student and I am trying to know how could I do a PCR within 24 hours and no thermal cycler?

is there a way?

thanks a lot for your help!

Actually you only need three heat sources with annealing, elongation and denaturation temperatures, a clock and then put your cups manually from one source to the next for the needed time...water bathes or heat blocks are possible as heat sources....
if I remember right the first PCRs were done this way. If you do it don't forget the oil drop on the reaction mix to prevent evaporation and condensation at the lids...

Edited by hobglobin, 22 November 2009 - 06:02 AM.

A single lie is reproachable; a million lies is a statistic.
D. J. T.

#3 Prep!

Prep!

Am I me???!!!

• Active Members
  • 517 posts
Neutral

Posted 22 November 2009 - 07:44 PM

i second on what hob says and i have observed it works better in a heating block (dry heat ) than a wet water bath.
But this is a very very tedious job. I wonder why you would like to do it!!!
Best luck anyways!!
Support bacteria - They are the only culture some people have!!!
Cheers!!!

#4 aimikins

aimikins

Sunflower

• Global Moderators
  • 119 posts
Neutral

Posted 24 November 2009 - 11:31 AM

I would think you could make your life much easier by bribing the lab down the hall with cookies, and borrowing their thermal cycler?

also, does your institution have a surplus department with old equipment?

good luck
"it is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education" -A.E.

#5 Chimp

Chimp

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
Neutral

Posted 26 November 2009 - 06:27 AM

Hmmm, nice! But why?

Have a look at this, i think ;)

http://www.nature.co...df/227027a0.pdf

#6 molgen

molgen

Veteran

• Active Members
  • 167 posts
Neutral

Posted 29 November 2009 - 07:10 AM

Chimp,
Have you noticed that article is almost 40 years old???
Things have changed.
Stagnation is not a virtue!!!

#7 Adrian K

Adrian K

Legendary Graduate Beggar

• Global Moderators
  • 712 posts
Excellent

Posted 29 November 2009 - 06:26 PM

I would think you could make your life much easier by bribing the lab down the hall with cookies, and borrowing their thermal cycler?

also, does your institution have a surplus department with old equipment?

good luck

I quite like the bribe idea...cos I done it before. Unfortunately I bought Pizza, share them some boxes filtered tips...just to get to use 2 hours of that machine for 3 days.
Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you are a good person is like expecting the lion not to attack you because you are a vegetarian.

..."best of our knowledge, as far as we know this had never been reported before, though I can't possible read all the published journals on earth, but by perform thorough search in google, the keywords did not match any documents"...

"what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger"---Goddess Casandra reminds me to be strong

"It's all just DNA. Do it."---phage434

#8 gfischer

gfischer

Veteran

• Global Moderators
  • 197 posts
Neutral

Posted 30 November 2009 - 07:19 AM

I'd recommend talking to your supervisor about either getting a cycler for your lab or formalizing an agreement with the lab that has one. The single greatest expense in a lab is the workers' time, and manually performing PCR with water baths/heating blocks is an unbelievably inefficient practice. If you're just doing standard PCR, the cyclers aren't that expensive. Also nave a look at Global Medical Instruments or Lab-X for used/reconditioned equipment if your lab is on a tight budget.
Above all things, if kindness is your king,
then heaven will be yours, before you meet your end

#9 gogreen

gogreen

Somewhere I belong

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 90 posts
Neutral

Posted 01 December 2009 - 12:50 AM

I too would do the bribing thing! U asked for doing 1 PCRin 24 hours and you can actually do a weeks work in a day if u manage to convince some lab which has a PCR! Think practically...if you want to have some result which is reproducible, try to go with a machine!!

Or if the point is to prove that u can do a PCR without a cycler, then go ahead and show that u can do the work the cycler does in an hour if u work for a day :P

#10 hobglobin

hobglobin

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional...

• Global Moderators
  • 5,615 posts
Excellent

Posted 01 December 2009 - 08:13 AM

I too would do the bribing thing! U asked for doing 1 PCRin 24 hours and you can actually do a weeks work in a day if u manage to convince some lab which has a PCR! Think practically...if you want to have some result which is reproducible, try to go with a machine!!

Or if the point is to prove that u can do a PCR without a cycler, then go ahead and show that u can do the work the cycler does in an hour if u work for a day :angry:

Or try the ebay thing, we bought once a 3x thermocycler from 1996 at ebay for about 100 euros, without heading lids but three blocks in one machine. It still works...

A single lie is reproachable; a million lies is a statistic.
D. J. T.

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.