• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

Loss of volume in PCR reaction in 96 well plate

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 giftfee

giftfee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Neutral

Posted 20 November 2009 - 04:50 AM

hei all,

I am fighting with an Gateway PCR.The latest problem is that I pipetted 20 ul reaction last night for a Gradient PCR, using 96 well plates with that aluminum foil on top. Paranoid as I am I doublechecked that its really closed, but this morning I found less than 5 ul in each well, and of course there are no bands besides the template.

My question:
Do you make PCR reactions in those (I think Polypropylene)96 well plates and did you observe problems with that? what is different about the PCR tubes?

thanks all!

#2 Adrian K

Adrian K

Legendary Graduate Beggar

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts
Excellent

Posted 20 November 2009 - 08:45 AM

Evaporation of course....
:lol: even if PCR tubes is used, it will loss some volume when is not properly closed.
Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you are a good person is like expecting the lion not to attack you because you are a vegetarian.

..."best of our knowledge, as far as we know this had never been reported before, though I can't possible read all the published journals on earth, but by perform thorough search in google, the keywords did not match any documents"...

"what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger"---Goddess Casandra reminds me to be strong

"It's all just DNA. Do it."---phage434

#3 microgirl

microgirl

Veteran

• Active Members
  • 122 posts
Neutral

Posted 20 November 2009 - 09:07 AM

Can you use plate seals (basically clear plastic tape the size of your plate) to seal the plates better. If you do this, it is also good to just fill the outer wells with water to minimize evaporation.

#4 ShannonJ

ShannonJ

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
Neutral

Posted 20 November 2009 - 12:52 PM

Like they said, the foil alone will often not give a good seal. You can place a "sponge cap" or rubber mat (with divots for each well) on top between the plate and the lid. This spacer can also help to alleviate evaporation if you choose to keep on with the foils.

BTW - you can also just clean and sterilze the mats and skip the foils as well..
sj

hei all,

I am fighting with an Gateway PCR.The latest problem is that I pipetted 20 ul reaction last night for a Gradient PCR, using 96 well plates with that aluminum foil on top. Paranoid as I am I doublechecked that its really closed, but this morning I found less than 5 ul in each well, and of course there are no bands besides the template.

My question:
Do you make PCR reactions in those (I think Polypropylene)96 well plates and did you observe problems with that? what is different about the PCR tubes?

thanks all!

#5 giftfee

giftfee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Neutral

Posted 23 November 2009 - 01:52 AM

thanks, I got some PCR tyubes of a colleague, if it works now I will request my boss to buy them:)

#6 Prep!

Prep!

Am I me???!!!

• Active Members
  • 517 posts
Neutral

Posted 23 November 2009 - 03:39 AM

i ve enver heard of aluminium foils for PCR reactions... If u are talking abt a Q PCR then generally optical films are used which do notn let this evaporation thing happen!!!
and if its a normal pcr.. pcr tubes will work jsut as fine... just ensure its clicked properly before use
Support bacteria - They are the only culture some people have!!!
Cheers!!!

#7 Minni

Minni

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Neutral

Posted 24 November 2009 - 03:44 AM

what is the machine you are using?
Is there a lid temperature setting? if there is .. then set it to 104^c. the evaporation problem will not be there.
Or else you can try using minreal oil.

hei all,

My question:

thanks all!

#8 warsel

warsel

Enthusiast

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 77 posts
Neutral

Posted 25 November 2009 - 05:17 AM

I usually use biorad's PCR plate seals and those work fine - I never have evaporation from 96-well pcr plates since I switched to these (you need a seal-roller though).

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.