• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

Treatments to clean silanized glass tubes

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Maddie

Maddie

Veteran

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts
Neutral

Posted 17 November 2009 - 03:55 PM

Hi everyone

I need to make sure my silanized glass tubes are DNA free. What can I do? Cross-linker? I'm not sure I could use bleach. What do you think?
I just need DNA free tubes where DNA won't bind to the tube.

Thanks for your help.

Maddie
Theory is when we know everything and nothing is working. Practice is when everything is working and nobody knows why. Here, we combine theory and practice. Nothing is working and nobody knows why.

A. Einstein

#2 Feelcontraire

Feelcontraire

Enthusiast

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 57 posts
Neutral

Posted 18 November 2009 - 02:54 AM

Hi everyone

I need to make sure my silanized glass tubes are DNA free. What can I do? Cross-linker? I'm not sure I could use bleach. What do you think?
I just need DNA free tubes where DNA won't bind to the tube.

Thanks for your help.

Maddie

You can touch the inside walls of the tubes with a DNA adhering material (simply electrostatically charged plastic). Then stain the DNA, and compare one that touched the inside walls and one that didn't under the fluorescence microscope.

Take a look at this: http://www.biotechni...ques-92159.html

To avoid electrostatic interaction of the dna with the tube and increase it solubility (i.e. clean it) you can use high Nacl concentrations and/or detergents like triton.

Edited by Feelcontraire, 18 November 2009 - 03:00 AM.

#3 Maddie

Maddie

Veteran

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts
Neutral

Posted 19 November 2009 - 08:20 AM

Hi Feelcontraire,

I finally had the time to read the Biotechnique paper. Thanks a lot for that.
I must say I had a good laugh when reading it, especially the: "Special safety measures should be taken during the preparation of the sulfuric acid/hydrogen peroxide solution (piranha solution)" :P .
Hmm not really looking forward to working with an explosive piranha solution. :lol:
I'd rather buy "ready to go" silanized glass bottle:
http://www.fishersci...AdvanceOptions=

and THEN clean it. Is that possible? I just need to make sure the contaminating human DNA that may be in the glass bottles won't be amplifiable.
Theory is when we know everything and nothing is working. Practice is when everything is working and nobody knows why. Here, we combine theory and practice. Nothing is working and nobody knows why.

A. Einstein

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.