• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

Protein aggregates

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 dnai

dnai

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Neutral

Posted 17 November 2009 - 11:48 AM

Hi everybody. After purification of a membrane fraction, I have measured the absorbance at 215nm (peptide bond absorption) and at 280nm (absorption by aromatic amino acids (tyrosine, tryptophan and phenylalanine)). Now, at 215 nm the peak corresponding to the monomer is sharper than at 280 and the peak corresponding to the aggregates almost disappears. THe preparation os identical in both measurements. Any hint on why this is happening? And which measurement at this point is most reliable? Thanks a lot!

#2 DaveD

DaveD

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
Neutral

Posted 11 February 2010 - 09:31 PM

How exactly are you going about preparing the membrane fraction? Are you talking about Bligh & Dyer (organic solvent extraction) or a cell disruption with differential centrifugation? If the latter is the case an you're dealing with membrane fragments, proteoliposomes and the like your 215 nm absorption should be dominated by Raleigh Scatter rather than absorption.
My 2 ct.
Dave- Dilyx Biotechnologies

-DaveD-

Hi everybody. After purification of a membrane fraction, I have measured the absorbance at 215nm (peptide bond absorption) and at 280nm (absorption by aromatic amino acids (tyrosine, tryptophan and phenylalanine)). Now, at 215 nm the peak corresponding to the monomer is sharper than at 280 and the peak corresponding to the aggregates almost disappears. THe preparation os identical in both measurements. Any hint on why this is happening? And which measurement at this point is most reliable? Thanks a lot!

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.