• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

Does biotinylated proteins will migrate diferently in an SDS than the actual pro

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 medchemgirl

medchemgirl

Enthusiast

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 69 posts
Neutral

Posted 12 November 2009 - 07:44 AM

If I wanted to detect a protein that normally would be 9kDa as a monomer, and I got it biotinylated, would it be detected in a WB at a different molecular weight using Streptavidin-HRP for detection? And how much more heavier would it be?

#2 Gerard

Gerard

Veteran

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 124 posts
Neutral

Posted 12 November 2009 - 08:26 AM

MW biotin 244g, your protein MW 9000g

You can,t tell the difference in the blot
Ockham's razor
Pluralitas non est ponenda sine necessitate
-- "You must assume no plural without necessity".

#3 medchemgirl

medchemgirl

Enthusiast

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 69 posts
Neutral

Posted 12 November 2009 - 08:29 AM

Ohh, I see, so I shouldn't worry about it then.

MW biotin 244g, your protein MW 9000g

You can,t tell the difference in the blot

#4 mdfenko

mdfenko

an elder

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,616 posts
Excellent

Posted 13 November 2009 - 11:32 AM

it may be relatively insignificant if there is only one biotin bound per protein molecule but if more biotin binds then the effect will become more significant.

also, which page formulation do you use? if you are using tris-tricine then one biotin may make a significant difference on the gel.
talent does what it can
genius does what it must
i do what i get paid to do

#5 Feelcontraire

Feelcontraire

Enthusiast

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 57 posts
Neutral

Posted 18 November 2009 - 05:09 PM

If I wanted to detect a protein that normally would be 9kDa as a monomer, and I got it biotinylated, would it be detected in a WB at a different molecular weight using Streptavidin-HRP for detection? And how much more heavier would it be?

You may observe differences higher than expected as biotin is a vitamin that may lead to a different ratio of weight/mobility than that of aminoacids. This is due to it's conductivity, hydrophobicity and SDS interacting characteristics.

#6 medchemgirl

medchemgirl

Enthusiast

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 69 posts
Neutral

Posted 19 November 2009 - 11:06 AM

I was actually just reading about the Tris-Tricine gels. I have never used them. I am using Nupage Bis-Tris gel from Invitrogen.

it may be relatively insignificant if there is only one biotin bound per protein molecule but if more biotin binds then the effect will become more significant.

also, which page formulation do you use? if you are using tris-tricine then one biotin may make a significant difference on the gel.

#7 Feelcontraire

Feelcontraire

Enthusiast

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 57 posts
Neutral

Posted 19 November 2009 - 04:47 PM

I was actually just reading about the Tris-Tricine gels. I have never used them. I am using Nupage Bis-Tris gel from Invitrogen.

You can use your Nupage Bis-Tris gels with MES instead of MOPS or HEPES which will give a similar result as tricine.

Search for MES monohydrate it's much cheaper than just MES.

#8 medchemgirl

medchemgirl

Enthusiast

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 69 posts
Neutral

Posted 02 December 2009 - 02:31 PM

That is what I'm using actually, but the MES, not the monohydrate. I will check that. Thanks

You can use your Nupage Bis-Tris gels with MES instead of MOPS or HEPES which will give a similar result as tricine.

Search for MES monohydrate it's much cheaper than just MES.

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.