• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

Troubleshooting GST purification

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 momboys3

momboys3

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Neutral

Posted 05 November 2009 - 10:54 AM

I'm trying to purify a GST tagged protein. We see expression in the lysate, sonicate, but when we incubate with GST beads, we lose everything. We see non specific proteins in the washes, but by elution time no proteins at all are left. We are incubating ON at 4 C, without protease inhibitors. However, we should not see such complete protein degradation. Any suggestions about where we are losing the protein?

Thanks!

#2 mdfenko

mdfenko

an elder

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,758 posts
Excellent

Posted 05 November 2009 - 10:58 AM

are you sure it's not still bound to the beads?

you may need to adjust your elution conditions.

are you sure it's not in the wash?

you may need to adjust your binding conditions.
talent does what it can
genius does what it must
i do what i get paid to do

#3 momboys3

momboys3

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Neutral

Posted 05 November 2009 - 12:00 PM

are you sure it's not still bound to the beads?

you may need to adjust your elution conditions.

are you sure it's not in the wash?

you may need to adjust your binding conditions.

We ran wash, beads, pellet, and the kitchen sink on gels and we loose somewhere after sonication. I've tried a couple of different binding conditions, but when I run the lysate on a gel after bead incubation it's gone, so presumably bound to the beads.

#4 mdfenko

mdfenko

an elder

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,758 posts
Excellent

Posted 06 November 2009 - 09:00 AM

you ran the beads on the gel and it didn't show up?

are you sure the protein was in the solution you loaded (why did you sonicate after lysis? is it a membrane bound protein?)?

overnight at 4C can allow enough protease activity to degrade your protein , especially if it is particularly susceptible to proteolysis. you should add inhibitors.
talent does what it can
genius does what it must
i do what i get paid to do

#5 ranjeet26

ranjeet26

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Neutral

Posted 13 November 2009 - 10:53 AM

I'm trying to purify a GST tagged protein. We see expression in the lysate, sonicate, but when we incubate with GST beads, we lose everything. We see non specific proteins in the washes, but by elution time no proteins at all are left. We are incubating ON at 4 C, without protease inhibitors. However, we should not see such complete protein degradation. Any suggestions about where we are losing the protein?

Thanks!

hi.... is that protein is coming is soluble form? i think most of your protein is getting in inclusion body...incubate your culture at 18c O/N...... then proceeds further....also add protease inhibitors through out.

all d best

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.