• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

Molecular weight marker

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 ram

ram

Enthusiast

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 96 posts
Neutral

Posted 04 November 2009 - 04:19 AM

Hi
i am using a molecular weight marker from Bangalore Genie (India)(Old catalog no. PMWM, new catalog no. 105979). In the image below A is the pattern which the company has given in the catalog, whereas B is the pattern which I got on same- 12% SDS-PAGE. As you can see clearly, there is a difference in the spacing between bands of the 2 patterns? Can anyone comment on why is it so? Is such case can I just count number of the bands and then compare the pattern order wise?
Posted Image

Edited by ram, 04 November 2009 - 04:22 AM.

If you don't know it, then ask it! Better to ask and look foolish to some then not ask and stay stupid.

#2 Vini

Vini

Veteran

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts
Neutral

Posted 04 November 2009 - 04:59 AM

Hi
i am using a molecular weight marker from Bangalore Genie (India)(Old catalog no. PMWM, new catalog no. 105979). In the image below A is the pattern which the company has given in the catalog, whereas B is the pattern which I got on same- 12% SDS-PAGE. As you can see clearly, there is a difference in the spacing between bands of the 2 patterns? Can anyone comment on why is it so? Is such case can I just count number of the bands and then compare the pattern order wise?
Posted Image

Hi Ram,
The spacing depends on the gel percentage and for how long the gel was run....more the run time, more will be the resolution. Similarly on a lower percentage gel, the upper area will be expanded........to compare with ur gel, u will hv to count the no. of bands....

#3 Dr Teeth

Dr Teeth

Veteran

• Active Members
  • 221 posts
Neutral

Posted 04 November 2009 - 05:41 AM

Hi
Posted Image

Your spacing looks appropriate for a 12% SDS-PAGE gel, based on the molecular weights of the markers.

Science is simply common sense at its best that is rigidly accurate in observation and merciless to fallacy in logic.
Thomas Henry Huxley

#4 ram

ram

Enthusiast

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 96 posts
Neutral

Posted 04 November 2009 - 06:32 AM

But both A and B are 12% PAG, then why is there such difference !?

Edited by ram, 04 November 2009 - 06:34 AM.

If you don't know it, then ask it! Better to ask and look foolish to some then not ask and stay stupid.

#5 lab rat

lab rat

Why does a science forum not have pictures of mice and rats?

• Active Members
  • 245 posts
Neutral

Posted 04 November 2009 - 07:55 AM

Maybe the lot you received is different than what is printed in the catalog.

Is it just my imagination, or does band 3 on the right have a doublet?
42..."An immutable fixed-precision number of unlimited magnitude." <a href="http://en.wikipedia....amming_language)" target="_blank">http://en.wikipedia....amming_language)</a>, accessed 25June2009.

#6 Prep!

Prep!

Am I me???!!!

• Active Members
  • 517 posts
Neutral

Posted 04 November 2009 - 08:53 AM

hi ram... don mind but its bangalore genie!!!
this is not a surprice to me... and ya jsut possible that they boiled for less time you for more.. or something like that.. i mean sample treatent might hav been different!!!
or as lab rat says it might be a defective lot also!!!
i wuld not just count the bands and go ahead as the saing does not look okay to me given the molecular weights...
Support bacteria - They are the only culture some people have!!!
Cheers!!!

#7 ram

ram

Enthusiast

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 96 posts
Neutral

Posted 05 November 2009 - 12:40 AM

Yah.. there is a doublet in band # 3. If this is counted as 2 bands, then there are 6 bands in A and 7 in B! :lol: :lol:
Pradeep...does the inconstant pre-loading boiling really results in such a variable results?

#8 Vini

Vini

Veteran

• Active Members
  • 178 posts
Neutral

Posted 05 November 2009 - 12:42 AM

Yah.. there is a doublet in band # 3. If this is counted as 2 bands, then there are 6 bands in A and 7 in B! :o :(
Pradeep...does the inconstant pre-loading boiling really results in such a variable results?

well, i don't think so........such variability, due to boiling, i doubt???? y dont u try NEB ladder

#9 Prep!

Prep!

Am I me???!!!

• Active Members
  • 517 posts
Neutral

Posted 05 November 2009 - 12:57 AM

Yah.. there is a doublet in band # 3. If this is counted as 2 bands, then there are 6 bands in A and 7 in B! :( :)

well, i don't think so........such variability, due to boiling, i doubt???? y dont u try NEB ladder

well i was telling that cause i have observed (not with marker) with some proteins, that under reduced conditions, even the boiling time lead to difference in the migration pattern!!!
But my stress was on the sample preparation.. boiking was jsut an example :o
Support bacteria - They are the only culture some people have!!!
Cheers!!!

#10 ram

ram

Enthusiast

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 96 posts
Neutral

Posted 05 November 2009 - 11:18 PM

Yah.. there is a doublet in band # 3. If this is counted as 2 bands, then there are 6 bands in A and 7 in B! :unsure: :(

because I dont have it right now!

#11 Feelcontraire

Feelcontraire

Enthusiast

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 57 posts
Neutral

Posted 18 November 2009 - 05:59 PM

Hi
Posted Image

Just plot each protein weigh vs mobility you will probably obtain a curve intead of a straight line, that's ok.

It seems that you got higher resolution of the lower weight proteins this may be due to:
-The inclusion of urea or glicerine in the gel.
-Different buffer in the + and - pole
-Reusing buffers.
This is usually an effect of different molarity between the gel buffer and +pole buffer.
By the time the gel is inmersed in the tank, if your gel has lower molarity than the tank buffer it will start to slowly equilibrate by more molecules (Tris probably) entering the gel. This will increase the resistance and thus current on that end of the gel, thus your proteins will run faster on the border of the gel.

If you want to be sure the marker is alright, which it probably is, run BSA or other know weight protein on a parallel lane. Keep the same salt, SDS-detergents, protein qt content on each lane.

#12 HomeBrew

HomeBrew

Veteran

• Global Moderators
  • 930 posts
Good

Posted 18 November 2009 - 07:20 PM

Assuming the ladder actually contains the proteins it's supposed to (and thus they are of known molecular weight), the pattern comparison between your gel and the company's gel is irrelevant -- if that is how a 20 kDa protein runs on your gel, then a 20 kDa protein from your sample will run the same way on that gel, and the comparison of your sample to the ladder is valid for estimating the relative molecular weight.

#13 Minni

Minni

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Neutral

Posted 18 November 2009 - 11:34 PM

Hi!! Ram,
I think from my experience your pattern appears more appropriate for a 12% gel. The Catalogue pattern seems to be of 9%or may be even 7.5%...
I think you lodge a complaint...

Hi
Posted Image

#14 Feelcontraire

Feelcontraire

Enthusiast

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 57 posts
Neutral

Posted 19 November 2009 - 02:28 AM

Hi
Posted Image

It may be also that you and the company use different acrylamide stocks, lets say you use 19:1 and the company 37.5:1 that would also explain it.

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.