• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

Cloning into pGem

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 greenlion25

greenlion25

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Neutral

Posted 29 October 2009 - 07:41 AM

Hi all,

I'm trying to clone a 5 kb insert into pGem and have, thus far, had no luck. I PCR amplify (using HF-Phusion) and then gel purify, extract from there using a Macherey-Nagel Spin Kit, A-tail my product, and then ligate into pGEM using NEB's T4 Ligase. I'm not sure if the problem is with the A-tailing or with the ligation itself. What concentration of PCR product should I use in the A-tailing reaction - ie does it matter that my insert is big (using Taq, Buffer, and MgCl2, in addtion to dATPs)? All components are fresh and that isn't the problem. I've also read elsewhere that a low insert:vector ratio (ie 1:1) should be used for large inserts. Anyone have an opinion on this.

Thanks!

#2 phage434

phage434

Veteran

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,475 posts
Excellent

Posted 29 October 2009 - 05:10 PM

Is your pGEM cut somehow to leave single base T overhangs? Or, perhaps better, how is your pGEM vector prepared for ligation?

#3 greenlion25

greenlion25

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Neutral

Posted 30 October 2009 - 04:16 AM

Is your pGEM cut somehow to leave single base T overhangs? Or, perhaps better, how is your pGEM vector prepared for ligation?

pGEM is cut, linearlized, and de-phos. same batch of pGEM is working fine for others in the lab.

#4 phage434

phage434

Veteran

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,475 posts
Excellent

Posted 30 October 2009 - 04:58 AM

pGEM, when cut, does not have T overhangs. You may be referring to the Promega pGEM-T product, a pre-cut plasmid which has been cut with EcoRV and had T overhangs added. Are the people who are having success using TA cloning, or are they doing a normal cohesive end cloning reaction?

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.