• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

Amplify cDNA for qRT-PCR?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 miss montana

miss montana

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
Neutral

Posted 27 October 2009 - 06:42 AM

Hi All,

Has anyone successfully used a cDNA amplication kit before doing real-time PCR? I have some RNA left by a former lab member from a rare population of mouse cells. We need to run the samples to look at a few genes, and I definitely won't have enough. Thoughts?

Thanks!

#2 Prep!

Prep!

Am I me???!!!

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 517 posts
Neutral

Posted 28 October 2009 - 09:28 PM

Hi All,

Has anyone successfully used a cDNA amplication kit before doing real-time PCR? I have some RNA left by a former lab member from a rare population of mouse cells. We need to run the samples to look at a few genes, and I definitely won't have enough. Thoughts?

Thanks!

It should work!!! or else they will be broke (the manufacturers)
Or you can try on a less precious RNA sample and decide for yourself if it solves your purposes!!!
Support bacteria - They are the only culture some people have!!!
Cheers!!!

#3 k_undertoe

k_undertoe

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
Neutral

Posted 29 October 2009 - 09:15 AM

One vital thing to consider is the stability of RNA! RNA degrades more rapidly than DNA and is not stable for very long, even at -80 unless it is stored in a buffered solution, so you need to ensure it is appropriately stored or process it before it becomes unusable.

A possible consideration for you is to make sure the pre-amp kit is compatible with your downstream qPCR reagents; i.e. make sure the concentration of salts, enzyme etc are not going to interfere with your qPCR stuff. Also, if you are going to use gene specific primers or oligo/random to prime you may need to remove those prior to your qPCR and that can lead to loss of template too. I have had incompatibility happen where the pre-amp had SO MUCH salt in the buffers and such that I had to run a PCR mini-spin purification, which basically put me back to what my starting amount was after you factor in the loss for the column. Just a note of caution.

#4 Helios

Helios

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts
Neutral

Posted 01 November 2009 - 12:51 AM

hey these kits do work....infact you can even do a whole genome microarray with as low 500pg of RNA using the amplification procedure of these kits...you can get as high as 10ug of amplified product...infact i am plannin to buy one of the same....

#5 miss montana

miss montana

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
Neutral

Posted 01 November 2009 - 06:37 AM

Thanks for the input! Which kit have you had success with (company, catalog #)? Thanks!

#6 RLI12

RLI12

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Neutral

Posted 17 May 2012 - 07:01 AM

Hi all,

I have the same problem...any kits that you can recomment me?
I have seen that Roche has an RNA pre-amplification kit but it is now discontinued in the UK. NuGEN is the only possibility that I have found but it is very expensive so I would like to hear some opinions first.
Thanks in advance!

#7 biznatch

biznatch

Enthusiast

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33 posts
Neutral

Posted 28 May 2012 - 10:01 PM

By pre-amplification kit do you mean a reverse transcription kit, ie. a kit to made cDNA from RNA? We've been using the Qiagen SuperScript II Reverse Transcriptase kits for years before doing real-time PCR. We usually start with 0.5-1 ug RNA in a 50 uL reaction (scaled up from the kits 20 uL specification) but use half the recommended concentration of enzyme since it's kinda expensive, and we use a lot.

Edited by biznatch, 28 May 2012 - 10:02 PM.

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.