• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

tissue culture and its problem???

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 noor albayan

noor albayan

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
Neutral

Posted 27 October 2009 - 01:12 AM

Hi my friends
I want to ask u question

I try to do plant tissue culture and every time there is specific type of fungs apper to me even I consider the aseptic condition so the culture failed :) :(

How can I solve this problem??

To complete mywork??

#2 toejam

toejam

Guitar Hero

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts
Good

Posted 27 October 2009 - 08:49 AM

hi noor albayan,

if you're getting contamination it basically is because your conditions are not sterile enough. the problem you're facing might be due to many different reasons, so try to discard each at a time. first, make sure the tissue you're using has been properly treated (e.g. sodium hypochlorite), also you should do all your tissue culture in a laminar flow cabinet, wear gloves, have a bunsen burner near you and once you start try not to take your hands out and seal everything before you move it outside the cabinet.

hope this helps.
"When there's no more room in hell the dead will walk the Earth"

#3 sanjiun

sanjiun

Enthusiast

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 39 posts
Neutral

Posted 29 October 2009 - 01:59 AM

maybe due to the environment? Why not discuss with your labmate. if they also experienced the same problem, ask your PI to fumigate the room...

#4 vojera

vojera

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
Neutral

Posted 10 February 2010 - 07:46 AM

I agree that perhaps you are not using sterile enough conditions but we once had an instance of a yeast contamination on one person's shelf in the growth room that spread to everyone so we had to clean the whole room out.

But be sure you flame all your forceps/blades properly, not just to get rid of bacteria/fungi but also to remove any traces of plant tissue (sometimes callus can get stuck in the grooves of forceps).

Another thing I do is pour all my media at least four days in advance of using it. That way, if it's contaminated I should start to see something growing before I put my plants in there.

Does anyone else have the same problem?

#5 Abiotic_Kabir

Abiotic_Kabir

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
Neutral

Posted 22 September 2010 - 11:50 PM

I would suggest to optimize merchuric chloridle that is used for surface sterilization.
Cheer!

#6 Abiotic_Kabir

Abiotic_Kabir

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
Neutral

Posted 13 October 2010 - 03:50 AM

Surface sterilize with 99% ethyl alcohol before using mercuric chloride. May be you need to increase the treatment time with mercuric chloride. Please make sure laminar flow is working nicely and you are wearing aseptic dress during inoculation. Hope this help!

#7 Adrian K

Adrian K

Legendary Graduate Beggar

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 707 posts
Excellent

Posted 13 October 2010 - 07:10 AM

Can you try to identify the fungus? From here, you can choose to find out the proper way of disinfection.

Just my 2 cents.
Adrian
Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you are a good person is like expecting the lion not to attack you because you are a vegetarian.

..."best of our knowledge, as far as we know this had never been reported before, though I can't possible read all the published journals on earth, but by perform thorough search in google, the keywords did not match any documents"...

"what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger"---Goddess Casandra reminds me to be strong

"It's all just DNA. Do it."---phage434

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.