• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

Do lions fast?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 strawberry

strawberry

Enthusiast

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32 posts
Neutral

Posted 26 October 2009 - 08:47 PM

Hi guys,

I got an email that made me think of how these animals may survive just by eating meat!!
the email said that lions may fast for one day without eating any food to get rid of an acid (not sure maybe the uric acid).....without doing so, this acid may accumulate in their bodies and cause problems!! :lol:

don't think that these animals can eat green food since they can't digest cellulose :unsure:

Posted Image

#2 mdfenko

mdfenko

an elder

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,805 posts
Excellent

Posted 27 October 2009 - 07:10 AM

don't think that these animals can eat green food since they can't digest cellulose :)

humans can't, on their own, digest cellulose, either.
talent does what it can
genius does what it must
i do what i get paid to do

#3 hobglobin

hobglobin

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional...

• Global Moderators
  • 5,539 posts
Excellent

Posted 27 October 2009 - 07:24 AM

I think they feed on what they can catch, i.e. one day they're successful and catch one to many prey (especially when hunting together) and really stuff themselves (many kilograms and as much as possible) as perhaps next day(s) hunt is not successful at all....and to store it is difficult because of hyaenas or african wild dogs...
If they fast (because of lack of prey or no success) then not voluntarily...

One must presume that long and short arguments contribute to the same end. - Epicurus
...except casandra's that belong to the funniest, most interesting and imaginative (or over-imaginative?) ones, I suppose.

That is....if she posts at all.

#4 DRT

DRT

Veteran

• Active Members
  • 162 posts
Neutral

Posted 27 October 2009 - 02:33 PM

I got an email that made me think of how these animals may survive just by eating meat!!
the email said that lions may fast for one day without eating any food to get rid of an acid (not sure maybe the uric acid).....without doing so, this acid may accumulate in their bodies and cause problems!! :lol:

don't think that these animals can eat green food since they can't digest cellulose :lol:

I was always under the impression that pure carnivores had a preference for offal, including rumen contents, which mitigated some of the problems of solely eating muscle tissue.

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.