• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

how to mark and identify mice/rats

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#16 hobglobin

hobglobin

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional...

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,548 posts
Excellent

Posted 01 May 2013 - 06:17 AM

i've tried by staining with picric acid. its supposed to be in powder form. But the one I have is in solution. What I did was I dip cotton bud into the picric acid, and stain the mice according to my number coding (right front hand = 1, left front hand = 2, right flank = 3, left flank = 4, head =5). I tried this last 2 weeks, and the dye still there and all the mice are ok (no sign of abnormality). just make sure they don't lick the dye before the dye dried. you can apply it by holding the mice by tail.

hope it helps! =)

Isn't this painful for the rodents as you "etch" the skin?
and powdery picric acid (i.e. dry) is an explosive, so you should be extremely carefully...

One must presume that long and short arguments contribute to the same end. - Epicurus
...except casandra's that belong to the funniest, most interesting and imaginative (or over-imaginative?) ones, I suppose.

That is....if she posts at all.

#17 adibah

adibah

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Neutral

Posted 07 May 2013 - 07:33 PM

i've tried by staining with picric acid. its supposed to be in powder form. But the one I have is in solution. What I did was I dip cotton bud into the picric acid, and stain the mice according to my number coding (right front hand = 1, left front hand = 2, right flank = 3, left flank = 4, head =5). I tried this last 2 weeks, and the dye still there and all the mice are ok (no sign of abnormality). just make sure they don't lick the dye before the dye dried. you can apply it by holding the mice by tail.

hope it helps! =)

and powdery picric acid (i.e. dry) is an explosive, so you should be extremely carefully...

the one I use is solution based. and may I know what do you mean by 'etch' the skin? I simply stain the hair with solution. the same concept when u dye your hair. i used it on ICR mice. the solution did not cause the hair to fall off or give any scar. but i don't guarantee the same thing if it is on nude mice.

sorry If i cause misunderstanding

Edited by adibah, 07 May 2013 - 07:39 PM.

#18 hobglobin

hobglobin

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional...

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,548 posts
Excellent

Posted 08 May 2013 - 07:48 AM

hope it helps! =)

the one I use is solution based. and may I know what do you mean by 'etch' the skin? I simply stain the hair with solution. the same concept when u dye your hair. i used it on ICR mice. the solution did not cause the hair to fall off or give any scar. but i don't guarantee the same thing if it is on nude mice.

I mentioned it because you wrote "its supposed to be in powder form". I'd really avoid this and use only a solution containing >30% water.
And with etching I meant that it's a quite strong acid and wondered if the marking is an acid burn, but actually it is not (luckily).

One must presume that long and short arguments contribute to the same end. - Epicurus
...except casandra's that belong to the funniest, most interesting and imaginative (or over-imaginative?) ones, I suppose.

That is....if she posts at all.

#19 adibah

adibah

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Neutral

Posted 11 May 2013 - 11:09 PM

hope it helps! =)

I mentioned it because you wrote "its supposed to be in powder form". I'd really avoid this and use only a solution containing >30% water.
And with etching I meant that it's a quite strong acid and wondered if the marking is an acid burn, but actually it is not (luckily).

thank you for your question. you've made me understand better of the things i'm doing

#20 notjustalabtech

notjustalabtech

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
Neutral

Posted 09 June 2013 - 11:03 AM

We use ear punching in our facility. It's easiest to do when the mice are just weaned (between 3-4 weeks old). On the contrary to what fungus dreams said, I would try to accurately punch the numbers 1-99 for those mice you plan to use in breeding, or for future cage combining/rearrangement. It depends on your research.

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.