• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

Desmin antibody: muscle specific?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 EmilyG

EmilyG

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
Neutral

Posted 26 October 2009 - 01:29 PM

Hello everyone

I've been trying to find a muscle specific antibody and desmin was recommended to me.
I want to use it for looking at primary muscle culture purity and make sure there are not too many fibroblasts present. As a negative control I have been using primary human fibroblasts and have found that desmin labels a few of these cells as well.

Has anyone else had experience of the muscle specific desmin antibody labelling fibroblasts? I've now tried two antibodies from different companies with the same result.

BW
Emily

#2 badger

badger

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Neutral

Posted 03 November 2009 - 02:06 PM

Hello everyone

I've been trying to find a muscle specific antibody and desmin was recommended to me.
I want to use it for looking at primary muscle culture purity and make sure there are not too many fibroblasts present. As a negative control I have been using primary human fibroblasts and have found that desmin labels a few of these cells as well.

Has anyone else had experience of the muscle specific desmin antibody labelling fibroblasts? I've now tried two antibodies from different companies with the same result.

BW
Emily

As far as I know, desmin was originally considered as a mesenchymal marker. However, it has been identified also in other cell types, such as dermal fibroblasts from the skin and cardiomyocytes.
See
Lazarides E, Balzer DR Jr (1978)
Specificity of desmin to avian and mammalian muscle cells.
Cell. 1978 Jun;14(2):429-38.

Cheerio

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.