• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

Transferring mamallian cell colonies for selection

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 J85

J85

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Neutral

Posted 20 October 2009 - 09:04 AM

First post here, so thanks to anyone who can help me out.

I'm doing a neomycin selection on transfected human cells. After initially plating the cells post-transfection and allowing them to develop into colonies, I'm looking to transfer individual colonies to a 24-well plate. Any suggestions on how to maximize the efficiency of this transfer?

I've attempted this previously using bits of filter paper, but ended up with large quantities of paper debris in each well, and next to no cell growth. Is there a better method (or product) that can be used to ensure that the cells are actually transferred to each well?

Jon

#2 Dr Teeth

Dr Teeth

Veteran

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts
Neutral

Posted 20 October 2009 - 10:15 AM

I'm doing a neomycin selection on transfected human cells. After initially plating the cells post-transfection and allowing them to develop into colonies, I'm looking to transfer individual colonies to a 24-well plate. Any suggestions on how to maximize the efficiency of this transfer?

I've attempted this previously using bits of filter paper, but ended up with large quantities of paper debris in each well, and next to no cell growth. Is there a better method (or product) that can be used to ensure that the cells are actually transferred to each well?

Jon

Try sterile cloning discs (from Scienceware, I think). Basically, you soak them in trypsin, place them over the colonies you want to transfer, allow a few minutes for trypsinization, and then transfer the disc to a 24 well with selective media. Other people use cloning cylinders, but I find these to be messy and more difficult to use.

Science is simply common sense at its best that is rigidly accurate in observation and merciless to fallacy in logic.
Thomas Henry Huxley

#3 J85

J85

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Neutral

Posted 20 October 2009 - 11:39 AM

Jon

Try sterile cloning discs (from Scienceware, I think). Basically, you soak them in trypsin, place them over the colonies you want to transfer, allow a few minutes for trypsinization, and then transfer the disc to a 24 well with selective media. Other people use cloning cylinders, but I find these to be messy and more difficult to use.

Great suggestion, thanks. I'll look into ordering some.

Edited by J85, 20 October 2009 - 11:47 AM.

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.