• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

co-IP trouble shooting

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 pacifly

pacifly

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Neutral

Posted 19 October 2009 - 12:08 PM

Hi, all,

Greetings to everyone. My first post here. I am happy to find a nice place to communicate with others experiences and problems in biology research.

I am doing a co-IP using Sigma anti-flag M2-resin to IP my bait protein (Flag-tagged, ~60KD), and after washing the resin beads, I boiled with 2xloading buffer at 100℃ for 10min.
The elution was then subject to Western detection for my prey protein (Myc-tagged, ~110KD), using anti-Myc 9E10 antibody.

Both of the two protein are expressed well as suggested in the input lanes from western. For the co-IP lanes, however, there is a clear band around 120KD (a little bit above the prey
protein band shown in the input lanes). There is no such a 120KD band in the inputs. I am not sure if this 120KD band is actually the co-immunoprecipitated prey protein. I know it
might be verified by using the antibody against the prey protein itself, but such commercially available antibody is not working good. Another way is to do the co-IP in the control sample
which is transfected with either bait or prey protein, to see whether a similar 120KD band will show up. This is what I will do next.

Anyway, my question is is it possible that the prey protein from the co-IP sample might show up at a slightly different position compared with the prey protein from the inputs?
I mean since I use 2xloading buffer for the co-IP sample while 1xloading buffer for the inputs, will this different concentration of sample buffer cause different migration speed?
If I want to achieve 1x for the co-IP, I need to first elute the co-IP samples from beads and then add loading buffer to make a final of 1x concentration. What would be the efficient
elution method for this purpose? Use 3xflag peptide(150ng/ul) @4℃, 30min for competeion elution? Elution with 0.1M glycine at pH 3.5 for 5min? Or can I just add some lysis buffer
to the beads and boil at 100℃ for 10min? I am not sure which one has highest efficiency.

Did you ever encounter similar situation? Any comments and suggestions are appreciated. Thank you very much. :(

#2 laurequillo

laurequillo

The Goddamn Batman!

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 265 posts
Neutral

Posted 07 December 2009 - 10:12 PM

Hi there,

sometimes in Ips I saw changes in the size of the protein immunoprecipitated...dont ask me why!!! But it could be. Anyway you can use some controls. So, if you are doing a Ip with flag and then wb with Myc you should have a sample without flag, and sample with flag and myc. Another control you can use is IgG: you split your samples in two, and then you Ip one part with flag and the other with IgG.

For the elution part:

You can use sds 1x to do the elution. Normally I do it with SDS buffer 1.5X and boil 5 min (you add your buffer to the dry beads).
You can use as well flag peptide, incubate with it for 1 hour and then take the supernatant add SDS (final concentration 1X) and boil
"He must be very ignorant for he answers every question he is asked" Voltaire

"This is SPARTA!"

"Im the goddamn batman"

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.