• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

Ni-NTA beads and dialysis tubing

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Megan Barker

Megan Barker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Neutral

Posted 05 October 2009 - 10:11 AM

Hi there,

I have a secreted protein (95kDa) with a His tag, which I purify by batch-binding the (filter-cleared) culture supernatant to nickel beads. I let the batch-binding take place overnight, then leave the mixture still for a couple hours to allow the beads to settle. Pouring the media/beads tends to take quite awhile because the column clogs up to the extent of blocking all flow. These days, I usually 'resuspend' the clog, though this tends to bash up the beads a bit even if I do it gently. The beads seem to stick to centrifuge tubes so spinning down (even slowly) causes me to lose a lot of yield.

I was hoping that I could speed things up by putting my nickel beads into dialysis tubing (higher MWCO than my protein, say 300 MWCO) so that I don't have to pour and resuspend and wait (repeating ad nauseum for a 6L growth).

So my question: has anyone ever tried this? Will the Ni-NTA agarose beads stick to the dialysis tubing (which would be problematic for purification and re-use)? Does anyone foresee any other complications here?

Thanks in advance for the help,
megan
multanova@gmail.com

#2 T C

T C

Veteran

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 277 posts
Neutral

Posted 06 October 2009 - 03:37 AM

Hey,

Its worth giving a try but the extent of binding may be lowered. How about diluting the supernatent and filtering it using a stericup and use it for binding?

Best,
TC

Hi there,

I have a secreted protein (95kDa) with a His tag, which I purify by batch-binding the (filter-cleared) culture supernatant to nickel beads. I let the batch-binding take place overnight, then leave the mixture still for a couple hours to allow the beads to settle. Pouring the media/beads tends to take quite awhile because the column clogs up to the extent of blocking all flow. These days, I usually 'resuspend' the clog, though this tends to bash up the beads a bit even if I do it gently. The beads seem to stick to centrifuge tubes so spinning down (even slowly) causes me to lose a lot of yield.

I was hoping that I could speed things up by putting my nickel beads into dialysis tubing (higher MWCO than my protein, say 300 MWCO) so that I don't have to pour and resuspend and wait (repeating ad nauseum for a 6L growth).

So my question: has anyone ever tried this? Will the Ni-NTA agarose beads stick to the dialysis tubing (which would be problematic for purification and re-use)? Does anyone foresee any other complications here?

megan
multanova@gmail.com

#3 swanny

swanny

Veteran

• Active Members
  • 367 posts
Neutral

Posted 06 October 2009 - 10:13 PM

Hi there,

megan
multanova@gmail.com

I've never thought of using dialysis tubing, but would not recommend it, because you will have to concentrate your protein from the large dialysate.

What volume of beads/ lysate are you working with? If it's not too large, there are a number of empty column bodies to use. You can place the slurry into spin-X tubes and gently centrifuge: one of those little bench-top nanofuges should do, max "g" <1000 x g.
Heart disease kills more women than breast cancer, but heart attack symptoms differ from men's symptoms. Get to know your heart... it could save your life.

#4 Megan Barker

Megan Barker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Neutral

Posted 20 November 2009 - 10:31 AM

Hi guys,

Diluting will likely not work, because it's already at 6 L of culture. (this is supernatant, not lysate - because the protein is secreted.) I already do filter-clear the supernatant, but things seem to crash out afterwards when I run the column in the cold room.

This time around, I'm going to cool the supernatant to 4 degrees before filtering - in case it's just a temperature-saturation effect. Will let you know if it improves.

Also I talked to someone about the dialysis tubing idea - and they thought that the big problem would be the Kd - having things binding to the beads would create a upward concentration gradient which would reduce the amount that bound.

Anyhow, thanks!

megan

Hi there,

megan
multanova@gmail.com

I've never thought of using dialysis tubing, but would not recommend it, because you will have to concentrate your protein from the large dialysate.

What volume of beads/ lysate are you working with? If it's not too large, there are a number of empty column bodies to use. You can place the slurry into spin-X tubes and gently centrifuge: one of those little bench-top nanofuges should do, max "g" <1000 x g.

#5 swanny

swanny

Veteran

• Active Members
  • 367 posts
Neutral

Posted 22 November 2009 - 07:50 PM

Hi Megan,
Can you do tranverse flow filtration/diafiltration? We used to take a couple of litres of medium down to ~30 ml of ion exchange binding buffer in half a day, so your 6 litres should be achievable in one day, even if you only get the volume down to a couple of hundred ml.
Heart disease kills more women than breast cancer, but heart attack symptoms differ from men's symptoms. Get to know your heart... it could save your life.

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.