• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

pUC19 control

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 EbolaZaire

EbolaZaire

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Neutral

Posted 29 September 2009 - 07:00 AM

Hi,

I'm doing TOPO TA cloning and think I set up my positive control using the pUC19 plasmid wrong. In the vector ligation reaction I simply replaced PCR product with the pUC19 plasmid; is this correct? Nothing grew on my positive control plate, but colonies grew for my samples and nothing grew for my negative control which leads me to believe I didn't set up the positive control correctly. Help?

#2 bac

bac

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
Neutral

Posted 29 September 2009 - 11:26 AM

Hello,
if I got your message right, you used pUC19 as insert with a TOPO vector (which one? just out of curiosity).
Then well yes, I think you set the positive control wrong. It would be hard to get ligated a circular plasmid (pUC19) into the TOPO vector, so I would not be surprised that you had no colonies. What about the actual cloning samples?

pUC19 is provided in the kit for two reasons: first to check the transformation efficiency of your competent EColi*. In this case you would have only to transform pUC19 into competent EColi (not to set up the cloning reaction). Then I think you can use it as positive control for M13 PCR if you want then to screen the colonies having the right insert.

* see p 18 in this manual http://tools.invitro.../topota_man.pdf
Note: I provided the link just as reference, it can be that this manual is not of the same kit you are using, there are several TOPO TA kits!

hope this helps

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.