• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

Ex vivo.. in vivo etc

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Kami23

Kami23

Enthusiast

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 95 posts
Neutral

Posted 28 September 2009 - 03:04 AM

Hey all,

We are having a debate in the office about which is the correct term for sections? Would they still be in vivo or are they now classed as ex vivo/in vitro?

#2 eberthella

eberthella

Enthusiast

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 53 posts
Neutral

Posted 28 September 2009 - 03:37 AM

What do you mean by "sections"? Seems in vitro and ex vivo are pretty inconsistent with in vivo.

#3 Kami23

Kami23

Enthusiast

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 95 posts
Neutral

Posted 28 September 2009 - 04:01 AM

What do you mean by "sections"? Seems in vitro and ex vivo are pretty inconsistent with in vivo.

ok for example sections for immunohistchemistry work.

#4 Dr Teeth

Dr Teeth

Veteran

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts
Neutral

Posted 28 September 2009 - 04:10 AM

It seems to me that since the tissue is sectioned and experimented upon outside of the animal, ex vivo should be used. In contrast, fluorescence detection methods used to visualize protein expression within a living animal should be in vivo. Nevertheless, every paper I have read that describes sectioned tissue immunohistochemistry uses in vivo, rather than ex vivo.

Science is simply common sense at its best that is rigidly accurate in observation and merciless to fallacy in logic.
Thomas Henry Huxley

#5 Kami23

Kami23

Enthusiast

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 95 posts
Neutral

Posted 28 September 2009 - 04:14 AM

It seems to me that since the tissue is sectioned and experimented upon outside of the animal, ex vivo should be used. In contrast, fluorescence detection methods used to visualize protein expression within a living animal should be in vivo. Nevertheless, every paper I have read that describes sectioned tissue immunohistochemistry uses in vivo, rather than ex vivo.

Thanks Dr Teeth that helps loads! :D

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.