• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

ds-oligos cloning problems

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 geraldgsw

geraldgsw

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Neutral

Posted 24 September 2009 - 02:05 AM

Hi, I am trying to clone a 90bp oligo into a 12kb plasmid. My plasmid has a single cut by SpeI, and my oligos have complimentary overhangs.

For the vector, I digest and dephosphorylate and then do enzymatic cleanup using Qiagen kit. For the oligos, I anneal with annealing buffer (tris, edta, nacl), boil for 5 min and let it cool overnight, then I clean up using Qiagen kit and phosphorylate with PNK.

For ligation I add digested dephosphorylated vector and phosphorylated ds oligos with Roche Rapid Ligation kit, incubate 15 minutes at room temperature.

For transformation I electroporate using default settings for E Coli, 1mm cuvette (time constant ~5ms, V~1.8kV), then I let it incubate for 1 hour at 37 degC 250 rpm. I use 20ul of cells and 2ul of ligation mix, then add 1ml SOC after electroporation. I have tested out the competency of my cells and they are 5x10^8. For the positive control using uncut plasmids, I get a lot of single colonies. For the negative control with no insert and only the dephosphorylated vector, I get no colonies. I usually spin down my transformation mix and resuspend in 100ul to plate on LB Amp100 plates.

I have tried different molar ratios of vector:insert 1:1, 1:3, 1:5, 1:10 and none of them have worked. I do not get any colonies at all. Does anyone have any ideas on what else I can troubleshoot?

#2 swanny

swanny

Veteran

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 367 posts
Neutral

Posted 27 September 2009 - 09:13 PM

Do you know that your ligase is working well, and that the insert is correctly phosphorylated? Try a quick self-ligation with the inserts, and also do the same with DNA ladder. Even 15 minutes at RT will be enough, then run on a gel. If you don't have a ladder of insert, and a shift in the DNA marker ladder, your ligase is sick/off/dead. If the DNA marker works, but the insert doesn't, then your PNK isn't working well, or your ATP is off.

I would also try a longer ligation reaction in the cold.
Heart disease kills more women than breast cancer, but heart attack symptoms differ from men's symptoms. Get to know your heart... it could save your life.

#3 pcrman

pcrman

Epigenetist

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,165 posts
Excellent

Posted 27 September 2009 - 09:37 PM

ds-Oligo cloning is not that hard and should be very straightforward, but 90 bp is very long for oligo cloning so make sure you have a reliable oligo synthesis provider -- the oligos you get should be full length!

Important: After annealing and ligation, you should run argrose gels to check whether the annealing and ligation are successful. By running the annealing products alongside with ss-oligo, you will also know if the oligos are high quality (full length).

You can also try ligation at 4C overnight.

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.