• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

Culturing U2OS cells

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 IKB

IKB

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Neutral

Posted 23 September 2009 - 08:57 AM

My P.I. is on vacation this week, and he wanted me to feed his U2OS cells 5 mls on Monday/Tuesday/Friday. (they are in the large petri dishes)
5mls of DMEM/F-12 with whatever supplements he added, I am not exactly sure.

So they are 100% confluent today, he said they grow very slow, and that I wouldn't have to culture them.
So my question is, if you have experience culturing these cells (which I don't obviously), is it safe for them to be at 100% as long as I am feeding them media? And if I should culture them, do I culture them like most adherent cell lines with trypsin?

And I have no way to contact my P.I. this week.

I am new to this forum, which seems like a good resource. Thanks for your time!

#2 Dr Teeth

Dr Teeth

Veteran

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts
Neutral

Posted 23 September 2009 - 09:56 AM

My P.I. is on vacation this week, and he wanted me to feed his U2OS cells 5 mls on Monday/Tuesday/Friday. (they are in the large petri dishes)
5mls of DMEM/F-12 with whatever supplements he added, I am not exactly sure.

So they are 100% confluent today, he said they grow very slow, and that I wouldn't have to culture them.
So my question is, if you have experience culturing these cells (which I don't obviously), is it safe for them to be at 100% as long as I am feeding them media? And if I should culture them, do I culture them like most adherent cell lines with trypsin?

And I have no way to contact my P.I. this week.

I am new to this forum, which seems like a good resource. Thanks for your time!

I grow U2-OS cells in high glucose DMEM with 10% FBS and split them 1:5 every 3 days using Trypsin 0.05% in 0.53 mM EDTA. I find that they grow at a medium rate compared to other cell types and I would NOT recommend allowing them to remain at 100% confluency. If you do, the cells will tend to grow as clumps after splitting.

Edited by Dr Teeth, 23 September 2009 - 10:48 AM.

Science is simply common sense at its best that is rigidly accurate in observation and merciless to fallacy in logic.
Thomas Henry Huxley

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.