• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

Bisulfite vs metabisulfite

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 RoginLab

RoginLab

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Neutral

Posted 22 September 2009 - 10:11 AM

I am working toward methylation of CpG Islands. I was wondering if there was a preferred treatment of bisulfite over metabisulfite.Any suggestions or guidance would be much appreciated. Thanks!

#2 MoB

MoB

Enthusiast

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 40 posts
Neutral

Posted 24 September 2009 - 04:02 AM

I am working toward methylation of CpG Islands. I was wondering if there was a preferred treatment of bisulfite over metabisulfite.Any suggestions or guidance would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Try the Qiagen 'EpiTect Bisulfite Kit' or Zymo Research's 'EZ DNA Methylation Gold Kit'. Both show an excellent performance regarding cytosine-conversion, DNA-yields and low template-degradation. They are easy to handle and have short hands-on times...

If you prefer a home-brew method try this ones:

Gerald Zon, Melissa A. Barker, Pavinder Kaur, Susan Groshen, Lawrence
W. Jones, S. Ashraf Imamb and Victoria L. Boyda
Formamide as a Denaturant for Bisulfite Conversion of Genomic DNA: Bisulfite Sequencing of the GSTPi and RAR2 Genes of Forty-Three Formalin-Fixed Paraffin-Embedded (FFPE) Prostate Cancer Specimens
Analytical Biochemistry 2009

or have a look into this patent, seems to be also very interesting: WO 2005/038051 A3

#3 methylnick

methylnick

Veteran

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 245 posts
Neutral

Posted 24 September 2009 - 11:49 PM

I have in my notes very early on that both compounds are different and you need to work out the stoichometry of the Bisulfite ions released into solution from both compounds and go from there. I'll try and dig up my notes and get back to you.

#4 RoginLab

RoginLab

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Neutral

Posted 01 October 2009 - 11:08 AM

Thanks!

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.